fishing a river for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfisherman369, Dec 13, 2008.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    When fishing a river for cats I have noticed that when a barge tow goes by if there is a fish near the bait it tends to make the fish just grab the bait and run . Anyone noticed this ?

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yea I heard that a it washes up food from the bottom and the fish have learned this:big_smile:

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Its called a Barge Bite and yes....several folks have talked about it. Even saw Bill Dance mention it on a show once.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have heard people talk about it and seen a few threads on it but i have never had it happen to me.. might be because i scare the fish away when i am going off about the barge having the whole damn river but they have to run right up next to my boat instead! :smile2:

5. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Almost never fails I always get bites after a barge passes. Exspeciialy fishing channels. I think It has something to do with the waves muddying up the water.

I've also noticed when I fish cats in creeks and small rivers. When you wade out and kick up the mudd they start biting better.

6. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    I agree and have also noticed that I get more bites and sea sick :eek:oooh: after a barge passes.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Boy I must be behind times.... I havnt ever heard the term "BARGE BITE".....have experienced it first hand though now ya mention it...:cool2:

8. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i never heard about it till i fished with phil king it worked for us

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    We have no barge traffic here on our smaller rivers.

But I have noticed that sometimes a boat going by on plane...or a train passing over a railroad trestle...stirs things up, and will entice a bite to occur.

Whether this is co-incidence or not...who cares?

As long as a guy gets a bite...I'll take em' any way I can get them.

I'm imagining the effect is...all the excitment spooks the baitfish...they become disoriented temporarily...and a predator does what a predator does.

It lies in wait...and capitilizes on the moment...ambushing an easy meal.