Fishing a river dam

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by papabear108, Mar 25, 2009.

1. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    In NC we have the mighty cape fear river:cool2:. One of the catfishing spots of lore where I live is the Buckhorn dam. I don't what you call it but the water flows over the top of it. Now my question is whether you fish just above the dam or just below the dam?:confused2: I have been told by the locals to do both. I was wondering what the brotherhood thinks. I am wanting a huge catfish to post on here like some of the ones I have seen. Thanks for your time.

Brian "BEAR" Lantz:smile2:

2. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have forund that fro my experience, below the dam is best, My thinking is that because I believe that the cats wait below for the fish that get injured or stunned or traumatized going through or over, and the have an better chance to feed on the disoriented fish, Thats just my opinion

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I would fish below the dam.
    Fishin below dams can be good almost year round but the prime time is during the pre spawn run which occurs as the rivers rise and the water warms.
    If you time it right and fight the crowd, it can be some of the best fishin there is.:cool2:
    It is also dangerous, so use caution.:wink:

4. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    sounds like its a low head dam with the water flowing over it, and i agree with the rest, fish just down from the dam and you should be good to go.

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also agree below the dam would be the best spot. As the bait fish come over the dam, you can bet their will be big cats waiting for them. Good luck.

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
  7. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with the others below is better.These dams can draw lots of people thats the only draw back to them.Can be frustrating with people fishing over your lines.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeap below the dam,you can catchem above it but probably not as many or as big.

9. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I have to agree with everyone else here. Fish below the dam.

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    this man just about summed it up .plus no chance of getting swept over the damn

11. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    i have seen alot of big fish caught below dams. including big cats. i think what you are talking about is a spillway. i prefer one where they pump the water, such as power generators.

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would say fish below the dam , and look for areas where the water is making like a circle motion . Fish right in the middle where the water is doing this .

13. shadchucker

shadchucker New Member

State:
    indiana
    I also agree with below the dam, look for current seams where two direction of water flow over top of each other. These are like highways for the fish to travel, at the bottom there is a tunnel with little current.