Fishing a Eddy

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Supafox, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    Can anybody tell me what is the best way to fish a eddy.I went fishing today at a small river close to my house.I just took my ultra light and some jigs.In about 2.5 hrs I caught 7 bass 1 to 2.5 pounds and 5 big bluegills.I walked the bank and waded the parts that I could.I found a spot with a larger eddy and that where I caught 6 of the bass.I want to go back and try it for catfish.Shoud I cast along the edge,in the middle,or the main cannle side.The main channel is pretty swift moving.

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    The best way I think to fish an eddy is to use a giant cigar shaped float and cast right in the middle. The rig goes: main line, cigar float, 1/2oz egg sinker, bead, barrel swivel, 18" leader, then your hook with some cut or live bait. Hook size depends on the size and species of cats you're goin' for. Good luck.

-Red

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jeff, that current chute will hold the more active fish. If I were fishing it though I would take three rods and put one in the chute, one at the edge of the chute where the current break is and one in the center of the eddy. The one in the chute should be on the upriver end of the chute, because of good current the scent of your bait will cover the entire area. Vern

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    id fish the bottom for cats sinker size depending on current and be ready for some hard hits and good runs eddies hold alot of the bigger fish good luck let us know in this thread how well you do

5. Supafox

Supafox New Member

State:
    Hannibal MO
    Hey thanks for the advice .I'm gonna go Saturday night The temps are supposed to be in the 90's in the day I think when the sun goes down it will be just right.I will let you know how I do.

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana

What do you mean by current chute? Something large in the river that directs current?

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Shortbus, the current chute that I'm referring to is like a narrow place where the current goes threw like a riffle. It will be the deepest fastest piece of water in the riffle. Usually this is not the place to catch flatheads, but sometimes they will be there. It is however an excellent place to catch channels. Sometimes, especially in the spring the cats will lay right at the top of the chute and wait for baitfish and minnows and other food to be washed into the swift water and right to them. Vern