fishing a cold front

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by wishiwasfishing, Sep 5, 2008.

1. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    since this cold front has moved in do you think the fishing will realy slow down? Im wundering if i will be wasting my time tonight?

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jason.

3. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Myself, RiverRat and Catfishchris were out last night and the bite had slowed but we still caught some nice fish. We ended up with 15 fish and a 32 lber was the biggest. It took some time to figure out the pattern but any time that you can get out there is a good time. Only thing I can tell you is to get fresh bait and drown it in likely spots until you figure out where they are.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Welcome to the BOC

Ryan sounds like you still had a good night. Do you have to fish deeper when the weather cools? Do you have to present your bait differently?

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    We had a great time out there. It was a little damp and cold but it quit raining on us a little after dark. We had to adjust bait to what they wanted. They only wanted fillets that night and would not touch the heads. If you had a small fish on there they would eat the body and leave the head. Man these fish are funny at times.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    It is strange how the fish can want something one day and then downright refuse it the next:confused2:. Thanks for the info

7. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Man you call that slow? My buddies and I have been fishing the Mississippi 4 or 5 nights a week for the last month or so and we haven't caught 15 fish total. Man we have got to be doing something wrong. How long do you stay anchored in one spot if you are NOT catching fish or getting bites?

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    30 to 40 minutes tops if its a new spot. If it's someplace that you know produces then maybe a little longer.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My advice for cold front fishing is to take some really warm clothes. With a lot of luck you will keep warm reeling in fish all the time and won't need the extra clothes, but in my experience that is unlikely to happen and you will end up being glad you have something to put on for the long cold wait. :sad2:

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Scratch my previous post, revised advice is to go to St Louis and fish with Ryan :wink:

11. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Sorry if that sounded cocky, I was just letting him know that the fish were still biting and that it was worth the trip out there. Those two nights the water was on a rise with the barometer moving, and that is usually decent fishing. We caught the worst of the front that night with the temperatures crashing and the rain coming down. The fish had moved off of all of the old spots that we were finding them and were on a different pattern.
    We will usually stay anchored for 20 minutes, if there are no bites by then we pull em'. Of course that night we were pulling anchor on active small fish to go find a bigger bite. If I am fishing the flats I will wait around 40 minutes like Mike said because those fish will move across there in little groups and it may be 40 minutes to an hour with little action and then all he!! will break loose. Typically though even on a flat if you are fishing a choke point or some structure you should have action within 20 minutes. Like I said I hope that didn't come off cocky, I was just letting him know that the trip out there was worth it. Lord knows I have had my fair share of trips in the barrel, just keep with it and spend as much time out there as possible and the fish will come.

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

Ryan gave good information. We were out there and when he said the bite was slow, I think he was referring to finding little groups of fish in aot of different places. He and I have fished in one spot all night and kept pulling one fish in after the other! That is a great night when you don't have to burn gas looking for hungry fish!

My advise is to keep looking to find the hungry fish. We moved to alot of different places and fished alot of different structure and fished alot of different depths until we would find the fish that wanted to eat. We also presented alot of different baits and cuts of bait to see what they were eating. Some nights the fish will eat what ever you throw in the water, other nights they get very particular on what they will eat.

13. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    No i dont think you were being cocky and neither did chris. Are whole prob is we are to new to this, but i know we will get better with time. Oh ,by the way i would love to fish with someone that new what they were doing, plus ill be out of a boat for about 3-4 weeks(thats gona suck really bad) im waiting for my new boat. SEA ARK BIG DADDY oh boy i cant wait.

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    great advice, I think keeping on the move is the key. If you are presenting your bait to neutral, inactive fish your just wasting time.

15. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Jason congrats on the new rig, you are gonna love that boat. I don't know what part of St. Louis you live in but from the water you fish it must be pretty close to me. I am out of comission with my truck right now but I am hoping to get out later this week. I owe a lot of people rides in mine so they will get first crack when I go but I would be more than happy to take you out there. PM me your phone number and I will give you a call.

Bill hit the nail on the head. Those fish can be down right picky and make you second guess yourself on any given trip. Thanks again Bill for taking me out with you the last couple of times.

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Ryan, you don't have to thank me kid, you're more than welcome to fish with me ANYTIME! I learn new stuff from fishing with you and enjoy your company. Thanks for pulling anchor the last few nights! :crazy::smile2::smile2:

17. 314moe12

314moe12 New Member

State:
    missouri
    you should try to fish high pressure is in the30 to 31

18. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Yeah I guess I'll be fishing from the bank.:sad2:

19. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    Yea its gona suck for a few weeks but will get by. Itried to tell the guy That im gona need the boat till i get my new one but then he pulled out the cash and and and there she went, i couldnt say no. Sorry buddy

20. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    What can you do?????:cool2: