Fishing a bend in a river

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by cacheriver, Aug 4, 2009.

1. cacheriver

cacheriver New Member

State:
    Bono Arkansas
    Should you fish the inside of the bend or the outside of it? Which usually produces the best results?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Inner part. Deep is the keyword this time of year.:wink:

3. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    AJ, I think you got it backwards. The inner would be the shallow part. Fish the outside bend, that is where the deep should be. Use your depth finder if you have one and find the channel.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've generally had better luck on the outside bend (but have caught and seen caught fish on the inside bend). The water as it goes around that curve, eats away at the outer bend usually making them deeper and sometimes creating undercut banks that hawgs love. If you can find one or some other kind of structure in the bend, you should be money.

5. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I would say it depends on the time of day. During daylight I would fish the outside (deep) but during the night I would fish the inside bend (shallow) as the cats go on the prowl

6. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I will have to agree with what Mark has to say, at night you can catch them in 3 or 4 ft of water, but during the day I would try the (outside) bend and at night also, they wont be to far away from deep water,

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    First off welcome aboard the BOC. Sometimes the changes don't seem to be too much but I would cast a rod in both directions an idea what may be working best. Not a whole lot of suggestions here just an opinion.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. Most of my fish have come from the outside bend, but have caught some from the inside. Randy Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.

9. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    When trolling river channels for cats I use planer boards so I'm fishing both the inside and outside bends (best of both). I would have to say I'm about 50/50 on Inside VS outside. :) When I start to see a pattern of fish being caught on the inside or outside then...... and only then, will I concentrate on the specific area.

Anyone on this site wanting to dramatically increase their catch???
    Purchase some planer boards and start trolling for your cats, I promise you will start landing more cats and will be the best $45 you've spent lately. :)

10. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Also depends on conditions. If the river is raging like the Ohio has been lately, you almost have to stick to the inside bend near the shoreline in current breaks because the trash line runs and stacks up in the outside bends. :eek:oooh: