Fishing 90-100 degree heat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tomcat85, Aug 2, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i really want to go out today. but its so hot. does anyone fish in this kind of weather? if so how is the fishing going?

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    SLOW VERY SLOW Ive been fishing bass on topwater the last couple nights and theyve been very sluggish missing the bait half the time two. And lately the catfish just shutdown on me

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Early in the day and late evening have been producing for me. Haven't got out for catfish since last week, but I have gone after smallmouths a couple of times here from about 7-9pm and doing pretty good. What usually works for me in the heat for catfish has been smellier stuff like livers and cutbait. Don't be afraid to let your bait bake in that sun for a little bit before you go fishing. As for flatheads, still haven't got one this year so don't have much advice for you there.

4. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If ya can hit some fast moveing water for cats, go do it. We still been produceing good here in the afternoon in a fast moveing creek down the road. Water stays moveing to fast to heat up so tends to stay alot cooler. Useing Galic Chilivers on the downside of the sandbars and floating minnows and sunfish into and out of a 4 foot whirlpool against a bridge embankment been getting us some decent eaters, channels all of them. Getting something other than a turtle in stillwater seems inpossible ATM. But the few bass and cats I have gotten in a small local lake, have hit in about 10 feet of water on <<<BIG>>> bait, big shiners, chunks of liver and 4 inch longears. They are few and far between too When its hot like it is now, fish seem want a mouthful if they are going to eat at all.

5. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I do fish in this heat and my only advise is to keep fluids in ya. Besides that I fish early in the morning and late at night and just fish deeper where the cooler water is. Seems to work OK for me.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have been fishing from about 4 in the afternoon until and have been doing ok until my last trip but have not come home with a skunk yet, knocking on wood. I have been using cut minnows, shad, shiners, livers and stinkbait. My biggest so far this summer is 14 pounds caught at 500 pm on stink bait.

7. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    Hello there! I'm new to the B.O.C and live very close to Buddah in Pa. We were out fishing today and ended up putting the rods aside and swimming the rest of the day! No bites anyway. Buddah and I went flyfishin very early thismorning and only caught 3 fish! I caught 2 of em'! Well, from looking through the posts I think I'm gonna like it here. Looks like alot of good people! Thank you.
    :cool2:

8. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    It seems to me that in this heat the fish doesn't get around very well and neather do I

9. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Early morning and late evening. If your fishing lakes fish the thermocline.

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yeah...here in Az, it's average of 108+ maybe dipping into the low 90's high 80's at night. It pretty much stays that way for most of the summer. Some nights the fishing picks up but it's been slow.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Good to hear that you have join the family.. Real sure that your gonna love it here. A hole bunch of good people here just trying to help each other out. So again WELCOME!!

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It was not fun on the boat after 11:00am this morning. I caught fish, but there were a LOT of short bites. No wind, low 90's, and getting hotter. We ended up close to 100.

The biggest factor I think was the Bermuda high pressure that brought the weather.

I will probably be out at night this weekend to see how things are.

13. CatKing

CatKing New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    If you can find deep holes fish them on the front or back sides. Start in on the up stream side and work your bait from front to back. Make sure you got good current and murky water. You should be able to get some nice cats in the deeper holes with the most current. Thats were i've had most my luck on hot summer days. Also after a hot day with a clear sky over and a storm moving in get out on the water we catch alot of cats then most of the time we can only have one pole in the water theres so much action, fish above the hole a little further than during the days. Good luck and you should be able to hammer them. CatKing

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im not able to go fishing when its this hot.I have heart desease and i cant be out in this kind of heat for very long so all i can do is sit and wait it out.It sucks becouse im having serious withdraws,right before it turned hot i myself was in the middle of a hot streek,then i had to just up and quit because it turned to hot for me.

15. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Might wanna try DEEP DARK NASTY brush piles for flats...The deep water, this time of year, is always cooler. And I think(if I just think it, DEFINATELY DO NOT carve it in stone...lol) that the water around brush piles might be a little cooler too, since the sun is sometimes blocked through the day. Another idea, is to fish a spot right behind the current. They'll face it, and welcome the extra oxygen, bait, and COOL water. Hope this helps.

-Red

16. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish heat and have had a lot of luck with decent size flats. My wife also has good luck with the heat, she was using a perch and bobber!

17. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Welcome aboard Thomcat,you are right there are a lot of good people on here and they will help with any questions you have ,just ask

18. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
  19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    On monday, the temp was about 97 when I got home from fishing. Yesterday it was 99.8 at 3pm when I got back. Decided to sit out today. An hour ago it was 101.4 (my temp sensor is in the shade of a dogwood tree). Right now it is a frigid 91 with thunder in the distance and cloudy.
    All the fish I caught were on bottom in deep water, lying in the shade of stumps! :lol:

20. ko1featherweigh

ko1featherweigh New Member

State:
    newark,cal
    when it got to about 110 here that night(i dont know how hot it was but i was still sweatin) i went fishin around 8or9 and the cats were taking the liver it was about 5 min inbetween hits but then all of the sudden ever thing just went dead no more jumping bit fish no more hits