Fishing 2006

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by jrm11, Jan 28, 2006.

1. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Has anyone been out fishing ?

I've been out trout fishing a few times with good success. Biggest being about 17 inchs.

I've heard of a few guys catching channel cats with the halfway mild winter. Just wondered if anyone has been doing any fishing in the good ole mountain state ???

2. mudcat_xpress

mudcat_xpress New Member

State:
    Beckley, WV
    I have not been fishing yet when the water warms up thes shovelheads shpuld turn pn well around the Hinton dam...I usually do very well there in the early spring for cats feeding on the dead bait coming from Blustone lake which is right above the dam...anywhere that you can get where dead bait fish are coming out of a lake or natural spring you can catch fish early spring.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been out a couple times..I try not to get to excited untill it's flathead time.

4. Master Juggalo

Master Juggalo New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Well havn't been out yet but I will be going to Tygart Lake this weekend hopefully and fishing for some Eyes and Crappies. Anyone fish in Tygart?

5. dad

dad New Member

State:
    west virginia
    I have fished Tygart lake 2 times this year Jan. 1 and Feb. 1 caught fish both times . Caught 9 walleye on the jan. trip, only kept 5 . The trip I made last wednesday I caught 7 nice walleye 14 to 15 inches and 1 20 incher. Also caught 3 crappie all on minnows. GOOD EATIN......

6. Master Juggalo

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey dad(LOL) where was you fishing to catch those walleyes? From a boat or from the shore? And about where so I could have a heads up. :)

7. dad

dad New Member

State:
    west virginia
    I fish from a boat. Its to hard to find them without my depthfinder plus I dont like all the mud. They were caught in 40 to 50 feet of water out in the main lake. Caught them all on minnows I didnt have worms , my favorite bait. GOOD LUCK.

8. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    went to the tailwaters below the dam to try to catch some trout !!
    the flow is a little to high for them now but they stocked few days ago.
    they stocked some big trout !!! i'd hook them and they would turn sideways in the riffle and snap the line. i was only using 4 lb. test line. Many guys i've talked to have been catching a good bit of walleye in the main lake, stopped at a local bait shop to get the local scoup !! the woman i know said use MINNOWS !! Tailwaters is good place target them if u have a smaller boat !!

Good Luck,
    Let us know whats going on up that way !
    JRM

9. Master Juggalo

State:
    West Virginia
    Well I just might go to the tailwaters sometime this week when it warms up alittle or I might go to teter creek lake. Anyone ever go there before? its a pretty small lake about 30 acres.

10. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    havent been yet this year. my partner and i are trying to get our boats together before flathead season. i did go bank fishing about two weeks ago on the kanawha river in charleston not a bite. where is tygart lake from charleston.

11. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Grafton,West Virginia is north "I-79" @ hrs 12 min. 141 miles

i live in fairmont, wv about 15 mins away.

look at mapquest.com for directions

12. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    2 hr. 12 mins, sorry...

13. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thats not to far a drive. i will be able to drive again end of june :) does this lake have size limitation on your boat motor. and does it have any big flats in it. i also plan to visit burnsville lake- dont know if any of you saw the article but a new wv state record was caught last year out of it. the person that caught thought they were still 8# short, and didnt get it recorded. i have the article but it wont post cause news paper article scanned isnt the right format.

14. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
  15. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks for the link jrm11. what area do you fish.

16. goins2901

goins2901 New Member

State:
    wv
    hey guys, can u still fish the dam at hinton? i heard they were doin sum construction and u couldnt fish around it like u could before...i used to fish on the catwalk and catch sum good cats and carp

17. mudcat_xpress

mudcat_xpress New Member

State:
    Beckley, WV
    Yes, you can still fish the dam....all of the construction has been done for over a year now.The fishing is not what it used to be but you still catch a lot of cats and carp.

18. Master Juggalo

State:
    West Virginia
    Well I'm going out today. I will reply when I get back.