Fishin With White Perch

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Marshall, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    I need a little info about fishing with white perch. I am kinda confused. I never new they where a good bait to use. I have caught several of them....I think. Are they also referred to as Drum? All the ones I seem to catch i feel is much to large for live bait. Whats a good size to use? How do you guys go about catching them? I catch most of mine on crawdads but like I said they seem to large to fish with. Im kinda confused on this and need a little advice.

2. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use em as cut bait and have used them live as well. I really like them, they are hardy and stay alive for a good while.

3. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    How big are the ones you use live? I seem to catch big ones(15 inches or better)

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I think that they are two separate fish. You are probably catchin drum, which make decent cutbait.They are usually larger than the white perch. White perch are actually a member of the bass family and should therefore be used as bait, however so you choose. Here in Kansas they are an aquatic nuisance that were accidentily stocked by our "brillaint" officials into one of our lakes. They have overrun the lake and they are about the only thing you can catch out there anymore. Here, they allow you to use them as cut bait only, in fear of them being spread to other waters, in which they have already.

Attached Files:

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Marshall, you are in luck, I did a piece on white perch as bait and you can find it under the Publication area (first section of the BOC) listed as 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University' titled 'Bait Prepartation and Presentation'. I hope this helps you and others interested in using white perch for bait. Mac

6. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Thanks for the info!! Much appreciated.