Fishin the dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by CatfishCarpenter, Jan 2, 2008.

1. CatfishCarpenter

CatfishCarpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Met my ol' lady met 7yrs ago in Smitheville while building the new KCPL plant in KC. She took me to Truman Damn and we fed the fish bread...THAT wuz pretty cool! We went through 3 loaves of bread and couldn't get enough! (neither could the fish!) I never seen so many Gar, cats and Carp in my life!!! How close are you allowed to be to the damn? Is there a warning if they open er up?
    Oh yeah forgot about the spoonbill!!! When? Where? How?

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    To the BOC.Good to the us growing in leaps and bounds.As far as Truman Lake Dam goes ,I can 't really tell you how close you can get,however I think they are pretty well marked as to how close you can get. I'm sure Spoonfish
    or some of the other members who live in that area will be chimeing in to let you know.
    Anyway WELCOME to the BOC!!

3. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rodger,
    Check with Spoonfish he will be able to answer all you questions. Welcome to BOC

4. Chris Cordia

Chris Cordia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can get a lot closer by foot than by boat. By foot you are still about 150 yards from the dam.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Ya, in a boat you cant get up in there. They have marker bouys in the channel and thats as far as you can go. By land you can get within 150 yards or so. We go to the dam and feed the fish all the time. Pretty neat to see all of them. In June when the cats go up in there to spawn the big blue cats will be stacked in there.

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I snag a lot down on the James River Arm of Tablerock and we chase paddlefish a bit differently than everybody else. There are very few times where we don't limit out. The spoonbill might be different on Truman and LOZ compared to down there, but this is what works for us.

We prefer 12' surf rods, 3-5 oz of lead, and two 10/0 treble hooks. Instead of trolling the channels, we motor along the end of the channels and mud flats and beat the banks like a bass fisherman does. The majority of the spoonbill we catch are pulled from less than 10 feet of water on mud flats. There have been many times where we have thrown up onto the bank, drug our hooks and weight into the water and hit a spooner on the first yank. We fish at night 95% of the time also so this might have something to do with it also. Even during the daytime though we pull fish off the shallow mud flats though.

Now if the fish are deep and not suspended or flopping on top, we don't do as well. This is when the typical tactics shine I am sure. I guess I will need to adjust to the situation and carry some bigger lead and a stiffer rod for those rare occasions. This usually only happens early in the season though and once the water warms up and the bills are running, our surf rods and light sinkers do quite well.

I plan to start fishing LOZ this year to see if it works as well there or not.

7. Chris Cordia

Chris Cordia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Last year we went snagging on the upper osage near Osceola. We had a blast. I was jerking the rod just like everyone else until I wore myself out. Then I just decided to troll. We had better luck just trolling than jerking and trolling. Any Comments would be appreciated.