Fishin the Bay (Quanicassee)

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I'm heading out to the Bay this week-end. After hearing how Sal did, It just got my blood rushing. I got to tangle with a couple of those 12 to 15lb females that are stagging out there at the mouth of the river.
    I'll let you all know how we do.
    Sparky

2. catfishj

catfishj New Member

State:
    michigan
    hey buddy my name is jake just looking for some local contacts i have fished in the area around there hot ponds and the river mouths all my life wondering if you might give some insiders or just share storys

3. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Go get em Sparky!!

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Welcome, Jake, visit here often enough and you're sure to get some inside info, or at least meet some new folks to fish with (which is the best way to get more inside info!)
    Good fishing,
    Tony

5. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Jake,
    Welcome aboard! Where is you home town? We're always interested in sharing info around here. As a matter of fact, the river we will be fishing on Sunday has alot of shore fishing available. We will be fishing from a boat though. We fish a hole right at the mouth of the river and also go out about 1/2 mi. from the mouth and off to the left a few hundred yards or so. From the end of April all the way though May is great fishing. June, July, and Aug aren't bad either.
    Keep posting man. You'll hear it all on this site.
    Sparky

PS
    Where do you do most of your fishing?

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I'm on a mission to brake my PB Channel Cat this trip.
    Sparky

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    OK, here is the Quanicassee River fishing report.
    Don, (Hear Kitty) and myself had lines in the water by 7:00am (Lite breeze, but not bad). We went to the spot that he and his wife hit the night before and did quite well in two hours of fishing, but thats another story I'm sure he will tell. Anyway, we fished in two or three spots out in the bay for about two hrs. with nothing to show for it. So, we decided to go into the river to see if they had moved in or not. We went to the hole right by the bridge on M25. I caught a small pike, with Don cashing in on a rock bass and a nice clean two pound channel that I bled out and put on ice for dinner.
    We made a move up steam to another hole about 200yds away and Don connected with a nice 6 pounder. It was slow going, but we put about 8 channels in the boat, that weighed 5 to 6 lbs each. We had decussed about leaving in another hour, when my bell started ringing and the fight was on. This fish was a lot bigger than the ones earlier. When I got it near the boat, Don said thats a good fish. Now, no fishing trip goes without some type of mishap. Needless to say, Don, forgot to put the net in the boat, and we were trying to figure out a way to land this fellow. So, as all good fishing partners do, Don put on a glove and said get it close to the side and I'll lip it.
    I thought to myself, Oh my, I've been down this road before. Well, Don lipped that big rascal and got him on board. I said to Don, I want a picture of this guy, so I reached for my camera and than went to get the fish from Don.
    Needless to say, this guy had a death grip on Don's thumb that took a little prying to get off. Anyway, it weighed 10lb. 2oz. A new personal best for me. After Don had snapped the last picture, that big boy made a big twist and back in the water he splashed to going fertilize some eggs.
    At this point, Don said, "you know those big fellas can really chomp down you, when you put your thumb where it shouldn't be. I sure am glad I had that glove on."
    Well, my fishing trip was complete. We got a few fish in the boat, not to mention my new personal best. We were about to pull lines when my clicking started to sing. The rod was loaded and I was reeling in another fish. I got it to the boat, ( it looked to be about 5lbs) he looked like he was just hooked lightly in the lip, so instead of boating it, I thought I would take my leatherman, (pliers) and dislodge the hook from his mouth, without have to take him out of the water. I got ahold of the hook, and started to shake it a bit, than that bugger made a big flop! Well, like I said earlier, no fishing trip goes without some sort of mishaps. Yep, you guessed it! When that fish flopped, my leatherman went flying! So, now my leatherman is sitting in the bottom of the Quanicassee River, just waiting for one of you guys or gals to hook onto it and put a good end to your fishing trip.
    All in all, it was a great fishing trip. My thanks go out to my partner Don, for sacrificing a little thumb pain and boating my new personal best channel cat.
    I would post a picture, but I don't know how. ( I just know how to fish). Maybe Don can post his pictures.
    Sparky

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Way to go Sparky!
    I hope you break your new Personal Best again, and again!
    Oh, and go buy yourself about 4 sets of cheap needle nose pliers!

9. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    Congrats Sparky. I sure hope you figure out how to post those pics before you land a new personal best. As for Don, well you know you have a good fishing partner, and a friend, if they are willing to sacrafice a little blood and tissue to land a fish. I hope to see you both soon.

jon

10. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Congratulations Sparky, Keep up the good work. It is still early in the year you can break that PB several times. I hope you do. I'm with you I don't know how to post pictures either.

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    OK Sparky & Mel, here you go:

1. Click "Post Reply"
    2. Type your message, then scroll down to the box under your message.
    3. Click "Manage Attachments". (a new window opens)
    4. Click "Browse"
    5. Look in "My Pictures" or whatever folder you keep your pictures in.
    6. Double click the picture.
    7. Click "Upload".
    8. Close the box once the picture loads
    9. Click to post.

Give it a try, here's one of my son with his PB...

Attached Files:

12. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Tony,
    Thanks, those are great instuctions. Now I have to figure out how to put pictures in my box from my camera. My son is coming home tonight to get his dog. I'm going to have him show me. I'm sure it is not as difficult as I think it is.
    Sparky

13. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Thanks Tony I will try that. I couldn't see the picture you posted as they won't let me till I have 10 post. Soon I hope.

14. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    You're welcome, now let's see some pictures!

15. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    No problem on cat lipping! Seeing that i was the one that forgot the net! and the fact is being a host in my boat if i would have lost your pb i would haved been shamed in hidding for a day or two! Hay you west side guys lets get together for a day or two at vaenderbilt park! and catch some fish!!!!!!!!!!!

16. catfishj

catfishj New Member

State:
    michigan
    hey dude thankx for response i really appreciate that. i live in oakland county and will make the venture up there this weekend weather permitting. over the years i have developed my own techiqes and also my own oppinion on exactly when the big fems are in but its alot of guesswork and not allways accurate it would be great if you could discuss these things with me. Iam very interested on what the locals have to say, i fish the hot ponds and the mouth of the quanakisse and my favorite long time spot off of dickerson road or at least really close to there its a cut that feeds out into the bay my dad used to take me there when i was a little boy it may sound weird but i yearn to get there every year,its like peace on earth to me i took my little boy there last year he is 5 soon to b 6 anyway thats a little about me hope to talk to you soon ... jake

17. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Congrats on the PB! Great story.

We snagged a pair of channel locks (no pun intended) at Lake Ovid last year you would be welcome to have. I sure they are not in the greatest shape. LOL

I can relate to the thumb issue, BTDT. Glad it went well, hope to get up there again soon.

18. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Thanks for the offer on the channel locks, but I got to get me a new Leatherman. I feel undressed without it.
    Sparky

19. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    well sparky finely got it to load

Attached Files:

20. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Here are some cats i cought on the 28th