Fishin' Sayings or Superstions

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by T-Bone, Oct 24, 2005.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I'd like to hear of all of the different Fishin' "Sayings" or Superstions that ya'll have around the country.
    Fishin' Sayings:
    "If the Cows are up, the Fish are bitin'" or "If the Cows are Down Fish Ain't Bitin'".
    If you dip or chew : "Always Spit on Yer Bait or them Fish Ain't Gonna Bite"

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    My old favorite is if the wind is from the east...the fish bite the least. If from the west...fish bite the best. If from the north...don't go forth. If from the south...it blows it right in the fishs mouth.
    I've also heard the one about the cows milling around and eating...that means a good fishing trip.
    Then the guy at the baitshop told me if the minnows were schooled at the top of the tank as they were that day then the fishing was gonna be good. A few weeks later they were schooled at the bottom of the tank and the guy said the fishing would be good that day too. :confused:

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Don’t carry a banana on the boat it is bad luck in Hawaii. Also on the east coast here they say if the wind is blowing from the East fishing is the least, and if it is blowing from the west fishing is the best. I know there is some truth to this off shore. When the wind blows from the east we catch less and have fewer run shark fishing than if it is coming from any other direction.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Two best days of fishing"ya shoulda been here yesterday" or"ya left a day too early"

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    T-Bone, I noticed your signature when you first joined. It interested me, because I used to pass a farm on the way to my hunting area. The farm had cows in a pasture, and several deer in a pen that could be seen from the road. If the cows and deer were up feeding, I could almost guarantee seeing deer while I was hunting, especially if it was late afternoon. I've used this observation for many years now. I also found that if the animals were up and about in the afternoon, with the moon rising just above the treetops, then that was the best days of all, except for full moons. My best luck on a full moon is usually very early morning.

6. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    red skies at night ,sailors delight

red skies at dawn,sailors be warned

or something like that

i been told the herring run really picks up when the lilacs start to bloom

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    misterwhiskersred skies at night ,sailors delight

red skies at dawn,sailors be warned

Kind of there mister its red skies at night, sailors delight
    red skies in morn, sailor take warn

8. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I don't have any sayings, but superstitions I have some...

I believe in balance for every bad day of fishing, you will have a good one.

I always have to wear certain hats and it has to be a hat that I have caught fish in many times before. (So implementing a new hat is a painful process)

Certain poles are better then others, I never take two new poles out fishing at least one has to of caught fish before.

-Brian

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't know any more old sayings,but how about some new ones?

If your in the BOC,then your a brother to me! What it is.
    :cool:

If your fish'n with stank,stay on the bank!
    But if its live bait you tote,you can get in the boat!
    :D

When you have plenty of bait,the bite will be late.
    But if your baits low you'll surly,be going home early.
    :crying: