Fishin Reel Paint ?

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Catfish Killer, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I want to paint some old scratched up bass reels. The two I want to paint have plastic covers. Dose anyone have any tips about paints I should use?</P>

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

There is only one spray paint I know of for plastic that works I can not recall the name right now but you will find it at Lowes.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Krylon makes a plastic paint. Don't know if it'll hold up under the abuse a reel takes, especially if you palm the reel. The oils on the hand cause the paint to come off after a while. I believe Rustoleum now has a plastic paint, but the same problem may occur. Why not look at the reels as battle scarred and be proud of them?

4. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with gadzooks. You should look at the reels as having experience and character. If they still work good, So what if they show some miles. It only means that they've been fishing a few times. Most of my gear falls into that catagory.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Id think that model car paint should work the cars are plastic, and there is a lot of different colors.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    research plastic enamels. For durability, the reel will need to be painted, then heated to bake the paint on, then coated with a clear sealant and baked again.

7. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    There is a "vinyl" touch up paint used in the auto industry. Don't have the remotest clue as to what it's called, but I'd bet any good car dealer's parts department would sell you some.....some types need to be baked on others air cure......be forewarned, pricey, I'd leave the battle scars, gives'em character.

8. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Keep the battle scars.

My old reel, before I replaced it, was very beaten up and once it had fallen on the driveway and part of the stem broke, so it would not stay on the rod without taping it in place. I still used that reel and caught fish - if I am remembering correctly, I caught my biggest cat with that reel after it broke. 5lb channel. It was a good ole reel until it took a 40-ft drop when I tossed it off of a bridge onto the shore below, and another piece broke, and it would no longer stay on the rod... keep your reels as long as they live.

9. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Thanks for all your help guys. :big_smile: I can understand the reasoning for keeping the battle scars. The problem I have is I enjoy keeping busy with this kind of stuff. Winter is just about upon us and I need thing s to do. I am hoping to get good at painting reels to make some art projects out of them.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Wow Tony, baked enamels.....you pin stripe them units too?
    Pimping the last reel?
    :lol:

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I have thought about it. But not plastic reels. Considered airbrushing some. When/if I get back into airbrushing.

12. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    what kind of paint/process is it to paint an all metal reel>?

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Try TESTORS enamels. Buy em at Wally world.