Fishin on Friday..Where to Go?

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Gazippoman, May 6, 2009.

1. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    Well, I'm off work on Friday, so I'm GOING cat fishing. The big question is where. I'm in Duluth, GA, and I'd rather not have to drive over 1.5 hours to get to the water. It looks like the Coosa is running too high and fast to fish, and I don't want to fish Lanier.

Any suggestions on where to hook into some BIG Cats? (keep in mind, if it's new water, I'll need some direction on where to find them!)

Thanks
    Bill

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Zippo, I'll take you out on a guide trip for flatheads.

3. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    Paul, thanks for the offer...but I'm pretty short on cash. Got laid off a couple of months ago. Luckily, I got hired today and start a new job on Monday. Maybe when I get a little money ahead..
    Bill

4. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I dont know of any place to fish up here for big cats if you rule out the coosa, thats the best that I am aware of (never fished it).

I too was going to fish friday but the weather looks like it's gonna crap out on me, I was gonna pull an all nighter on the etowah arm of allatoona, dont know how big of cats I may find there, but its the home turf so I gotta start fishing it sometime.

5. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    You could go try Lanier
    Call me 706-476-8943

6. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    Yeah Lanier is a great big ol lake for all kind of fish, and the water is up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

7. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    Well, since the Coosa is too high to fish, I guess I'm going to hit Weiss. I need to get an Alabama license anyway if I'm going to fish any of the Tennesse River in Alabama this summer. I'm not too familiar with good spots on Weiss, so I guess I'll be running and gunning. Think I'll start where the Coosa enters Weiss first, then work my way down.

Any other suggestions?
    Bill

8. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The S Carolina boys have been pulling some good ones out of Hartwell. It's not too much farther than Lanier anyway.

9. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    I'd thought about that, but I know Hartwell even less than I know Weiss. I figured I put in at Bushy Branch, which would give me a chance to see what the Coosa looks like, then either head to the lake or up the river.

10. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I don't know Hartwell either, but I want to start fishing it since it's not but about 40 minutes from the house. Some great crappie fishing there too.

11. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    Well...hit Weiss today. Was gonna put in at Brushy Branch, but went over the bridge first...NO WAY. Water almost out of the banks...HEAVY current and tons of timber rushing down the Coosa.

SO, I drove over into Bama and bought my out of state license. Dang Bama Fish and Game...$46 for a yearly license, but it's only good until Aug. 1st. Don't THAT make a lot of sense?

Decided to put in at Spring Creek. Followed the winding little creek til it hit the Coosa River channel. The channel runs down the far bank, and the creek mouth was causing a real nice eddy. And Shad were everywhere. First cast with my net, 35-40 nice shad. I put out 4 lines from the top of the eddy to the creek channel. And it was ON! Caught 34 blues between 9 am and 3 pm. Biggest 16 #, a 13#, 2 at 12#, 15 between 6-8#, the rest all 3-5#. Ran out of shad!! Decide to pack it in, but threw the net a couple more times for shad to freeze. Great day on the water!

Bill

12. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    All I can say is WOW! I need to get an Alabama license and hire you for a guide.

13. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    Man, I just lucked into them! I've only fished Weiss 3-4 times total. I just picked out the mouth of a creek channel it looked like I could get to without having to worry about heavy logs in heavy current running into my boat.
    The eddy looked a lot like the ones you see beneath dams. Just a lucky guess on where to try. You know, even a blind squirrel finds a nut ever once in a while!

14. Jasongonefishing

Jasongonefishing New Member

State:
    McDonough,
    Sounds like a great day on the water man!!

15. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    It's one of the best days I've ever had for numbers of cats, if not size. Next time, if the conditions are the same, I'll have to take some 4 ounce sinkers or find some 3 ounce no rolls or snagless. The 3 ounce bank sinkers I was using weren't quite heavy enough in the current.

Bill

16. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    nice day out. always a good sign when you get into the shad right off the bat.