fishin mishaps

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fishinfreak19D, Nov 8, 2009.

1. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    they happen to everyone, lets hear your stories of your most memorable fishing mishaps, about 2 years ago i had lines out on the river and wasnt havin any luck so i lost track of thought and was in a conversation with my wife about y were still out there when i look and one of my poles is gone, but my bobber is in the middle of the river, i tied a snag rid of sorts and casted to it and it went under, i spent 2 hours chasin that bobber up and down the bank before i snagged something, i got it in and it turns out i snagged my rod through the second eye, i started bringin in line and the fish was still on!!! when i landed it it was a 13 lb channel, i couldnt believe it, i was gonna keep him cause he was the only fish i caught, but i figured he earned his freedom and id let him grow. i never looked away from my rods since

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Oh yeah, fish long enough and you can write a book... :crazy:

I've fallen out of the boat and nearly drowned until I stood up....

I had a pretty big bite one time, At the same time there was this duck that was acting crazy... I was trying to get the fish in and watch the duck at the same time.... Yup, it was the duck....:eek:oooh:

If you go under a low bridge at night, make sure you take the rear light down first....:wink:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have forgotten to put the drain plug in a few times. Just to name one.

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    shoot just this past thursday i fell from my non moving boat trying to move my heavy weight bag and stepped from the middle seat to the front seat and kerplunk i'm in the drink

5. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I reeled in all my rods to change spots, while heading downstream i hear a clicker creaming, opps I left out one rod! glad i didn't break the rod holder off...

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i was casting out one time when i was about 13 and hooked a swarming sea gull:embarassed:

i was fishing at a lake one time not to long ago and this guy i didn't know was bragging about his new reel and how smooth it was. he told me to cast it as far as i could. he had a weighted slip float on it and about an oz of weight on it. i heaved the heck out of it and the reel spooled up and broke the line shooting his float about 200+ yds.:confused2::confused2: kinda embarrassing and i felt bad. ended up re spooling his reel and giving him a new float.:cool2:

i know its not necessarily fishing, but me and some buddies went out frog gigging one night. after a few barley pops, we spotted a big ol' frog, i was in the front of the boat. i went to gig the frog thinking that the water was fairly shallow. problem was i was deceived and my gig kept going and so did I. head first dive into the pond. :smile2::smile2: not where i wanted to be but was very funny for the rest of the crew on that vessel.

i have a million differnt stories of falling out of the boat and things like that, but i dont want to take up the whole thread.... my one buddy says all the time, that if you fish with me you may not catch anything but you will be entertained. :wink::wink:

7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Me and a friend were fishn the Wateree River. It was a narrow section and even though we were anchored close to the bank it seemed the rod on the outside (cast toward the middle) was getting all the action. My friend wasn't catching anything and suggested that we move more toward the middle and we would probably catch more fish. We reeled in all the rods, pulled anchor and moved out and down a little. Right when we got at our new location i droped anchor and we were throwing out rods when we heard a loud crash. We both looked back and a tree on the bank had fell into the water and landed right were we had been fishn. It was a BIG Tree and even though the water had been washing away at its roots for many many yrs, it fell this day. We both just turned and looked at one another and went back to fishn. I'm just thankful that i wasn't one of those guys that would refuse to move because they were catching all the fish.:big_smile:
    Now when i fish the river i look at the tree that i'm fixing to anchor by, if the bank is tore out from around the roots i don't anchor:smile2: I know its one in a million chance but it can happen

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    One memorable trip was down in Kansas my uncle who was stationed at a amry base there wanted to go fishing with me and he rented a boat from the marina,as we didn't want to drive 3 hours to get mine,anyway we went out on the lake (Milford) which is about 16,000+ acres of surface water,this little rental boat only had a 5 horse motor on it and we were fishing along a rock/rubble type embankment on a calm sunny day,suddenly the wind came up hard and we headed for the marina,but the boat couldn't handle the waves and wind very well and we were blown into the rocks,we got back off the rocks and were about 50 yards from shore when this huge rouge wave coming from the side hit us(the bow was pointed into the wind) it was all of ten feet and swamped the boat,the next wave on the bow came right over us and the little aluminum rental sank right out from beneath us just that quick,I like to drowned swimming the 50 yards to shore in that mess with (by now) lightening,hail, and rain pouring down around us. we walked for a while then hid under a bridge till the storm passed,then got on the road and hooofed it to the nearest phone. The marina owner was happy we were alive and told us not to worry about the boat as his insurance would cover it. I suppose that sucker is still at the bottom out there somewhere,with all our gear and my uncles wallet and everything else.Walked away from that one with the clothes on our backs and not much more,lucky! Nobody was expecting the storm and it snuck up on us from behind kind of formed right over us,later we heard the wind went to 70 and 80 mph gust with a 60 mph strait wind,never did fiqure out where that odd sideways wave came from.

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Another time I was hauling azz in my bass boat when I hit a swell from another boats wake that I didn't see and my bass boat got a little sideways in the air,upon landing the boat went left and I went straight over the side and into the water,thankfully I did have the kill switch cord clipped to my shirt,but it hurt and rattled me pretty good,enough to remember to pay attention to what was in front of me from there on out while hauling butt,the bass boats can get alot of air under them real quick,kinda scary at first,but fun,till it's not!

10. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    My son and a friend and I were fishing a lake close to here back in 97. We were tearing up almost every kind of fish in the lake. We had catfish, wipers, crappies, bluegills and walleyes too. Enough crappie and gills to have 2 full stringers tied to the boat. Weather came up fast with high winds so we took off for the ramp. All of a sudden the motor bogged down real low, then took off again. My son hollered"what's that?" pointing behind us. Sure enough, we'd run both stringers though the prop. Hell of a chum line behind us! We were all so bummwed that we just went home, instead of waiting out the storm.
    Another time I backed the boat down the ramp. My dad pushed it off of the trailer for me and I parked the truck and trailer. Walked back down to see our boat floating peacefully out to sea! Seems dad forgot to tie it off to shore. Thankfully another boater saw it and brought it back. That was funny.
    But when the boat fell off the trailer halfway down the ramp, that sucked! No, it couldn't have been our 17' flat bottom. Oh no, it was an old 16' fiberglass monster that weight as much as the Queen Mary! The Strap to the winch had broken. Walked over to the marina and purchased the only thing he had which was a big package of yelloy rope. After braiding a bunch of it together, we fed it into the winch and the with mr cranking and dad pushing, we got it back on the trailer. Took it back home and put a for sale sign on it.

11. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    This isnt the most memoriable, but it was kinda funny to me. Took a friend to the river at night, he never fished a Kat Bobber before. He finally got a bite and it snapped his line. He threw his arms in the air and and said a few cuss words. I guess he forgot about his other pole, because at the same time he threw his arms up, his pole shot off like a missle into the river lol. He didnt think it was funny, but I kinda did. Ended up snagging it, about an hour later. He was relieved because it was his sons pole and he didnt know how to break the news to him.

12. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    When I was a kid, back before we had rod holders, I would only use one rod and my dad would usually have 3. If he hooked a fish he would sometimes let me reel it in. One time while reeling one of his fish a fish grabbed mine and took it in the water. He almost jumped out of the boat to get it, and just barely grabbed it, and I fought that fish for a while before it finally broke my line under the boat. We never saw the fish, but I think it was probably the biggest one I had ever fought up to that time. Sometime at a later date the same thing happened, only this time the rod was too far in the water by the time we realized it was out of the boat.

Some time after that, I was still using the Zebco 33 reels, but I think I was already using 2 rods, and I may have also been using one of my dad's spinning reels. I caught a fish on a Zebco, and it was already missing one of the paddles on the handle, and the other one broke off reeling in that fish. I tried to reel it in without the paddles, but that was hard. My dad finally grabbed the line to pick the fish up and into the boat, and the fish came off the hook as soon as it came out of water.

A couple of years ago we were fishing in a bass tournament for my dad's work. We were in our jon boat, and I was in the front of the boat working the trolling motor. We were going around a dock, and my dad somehow slipped and fell in the boat, almost falling in the water. After I realized he was ok, I realized I had a fish on. We had to circle around and pick up a rod my dad had knocked in the water when he fell, and as we were getting back to where he fell I said "When we get back up here fall down again to see if I can catch another fish" but he wouldn't do it.

This didn't happen to me, but my dad has told this one several times. He used to go shark fishing a lot, and they would have probably 7 or 8 boats that would travel and anchor close to each other. One guy had one of his rods get pulled in the water. A while later, he pulled in his line and it was tangled with another line. He asked around whose line he had, and everybody said it wasn't theirs. He started pulling it in, and pulled in his rod. He started reeling it in, and reeled in the shark that pulled it in.

13. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    heres a good one while fishing on the trinity river earlier this year i had a rod go into the water. heres how it happened

when my buddy jesse and i go fishing down on the trinity we usually have an arsenal of about 10-20 rods between the 2 of us set up all along a large stretch of the bank all with diff baits and set at diff depths naturally well we had been catching smaller blues and gator gar that night and all the rods had clickers on them or were kept in the boat rod holders well i hear a clicker on one of my rods go off so i decide i better go inspect and catch the culprit lol get over there pick the rod up and nothing so i reset the clicker and put the rod back down into the mud as i'm walking back to the other rods i hear a splash i look at that rod is gone so i quickly grab the only rod not being used and get to that rod quickly the bank had fallen in where my rod was so i finally fished the rod out or i was about to take a midnight swim for it lol later that night jesse's dad broke a good blue about 25lbs off at the bank well about 30 mins before we left jesse had a good run on one of his rods he sets the hook and the fight is on well he gets hung up in a tree and we knew it was a decent-good fish so jesse's brother and i jumped in the boat and went to where jesse was hung up at and got the fish in finally it was the same fish that broke his dad off somehow the hook point had caught the swivel on jesse's rod lol

14. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Now that was funny... glad you got your pole back & yes I think you were right that the catfish earned a second chance...good one :cool2:

15. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Forgot to pull up the trolling motor once and took off with a full throttle, A giant wave of water came over the front of the boat as my trolling motor was ripped out of its location and went to the bottom of the lake. The foot control was still attached so I just had to fish it back up with the cable.

16. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Launched my boat by myself once and forgot to secure the bow line to the trailer wench. Had to swim out to get my boat.

17. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas

Oh i remember that conversation!! lol oh and wasnt that the day you through kendalls froggy that laughed all time in the water?? that was a fun night sleeping in the back of the truck.cant wait to do it again when your home:smile2:

18. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    As someone said earlier if you stay in the woods or water funny things
    are going to happen.
    When I was a boy three friends and myself were fishing a good size creek.
    We were walking a well worn trail with our cane poles over or shoulders.
    When someone would say something all would turn to look. When you turn
    to look your pole goes up in the trees beside the trail. Somebodys cane pole
    hit an unseen hornets nest and the hornets tried to eat us up. We were all
    stung several times and had to jump in the creek to escape them and go under water holding our breath. We stayed in the water probably an hour and then
    floated slowly out of the area. We went back two days later and got our poles.
    Anyone ever been fishing on the bank at night in the fall and had to build a
    fire. Ever get your rubber boots to close to the fire and you think they are
    melting to your feet. Ever had to waid out in the water to cool your boots
    off. Thats very funny to everyone but the one that has the hot foot. LOL