Fishin lines

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fridaybocopw, Aug 6, 2009.

1. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ive been fishing the missouri a lot lately from the bank and the rocks are killing me lines. I dont think its the best line made anyway, I cant find the spool now but I think its saltwater line and it was the only green line they had that day and I was in a hurry. Merry fishing

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    i use 30# berkley Big game mono, its some TUFF stuff i have 40# too sometimes i make leaders out of that. But Brian <320hotrod> can contest on how tuff that 30# is it stretchs a LOT, i have a hell of a time breaking it when i get snagged on the bank or on a boat, moral of the story is i usally can either get my weight back or my hook or both when snagged.

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Yeah, that line of Mike's drives me nuts. Gotta walk from back to front of the boat, reel up, back to front again, sometimes a third time....still tryin to teach that boy not to hung up in the first place, wouldn't be no problem.

4. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Mike, When I fish with heavier rigs on the bottom. I use a Carolina style set up with 50# Power Pro and 30# mono. Most of the time you'll be able to break off the leader and save your backing. The only times I lose the whole set up is when the weight gets lodged in the rocks. A word of caution, carry a short piece of dowel rod to wrap the Power Pro around when trying to break off or it will slice your hand wide open. Hope this helps.

5. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks I usually just wrap in around my pliers, I just need something that won't get eat up so bad by the rock and brush.

6. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    try Cajun red 30 lb test

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    spider wire stealth 65lb test, it has the diameter of 10 or 12 lb mono. cuts through the current real nice, it comes in a green that is the same shade as most of the water in missouri. do like andy said and keep a HARD wood dowel on you to break it off. ive had this cut large sticks in half, and its cut me a bunch of times very deep. i have pulled out some nice flats from stumps, snags, and heavy brush with this stuff, good luck.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009