Fishin in the Rain

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Tarpon, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Tarpon

Tarpon New Member

What do ya'll think about fishin in the rain. I'm home for fall break and it rained all day 2day and is supposed to keep it up for tomarrow too. Should i go out and give it a try. I will be crappie fishin, but put out a bunch of jugs at the same time and wait for em to take off. I don't mind gettin wet, I just wanna catch fish. --- Ben

2. moore42420

moore42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    The fish are already wet :D If it is not a hard rain I think that it may be good. I know when I was younger and a light rain came it knocked some insects onto the water and they ate them up.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Fish the banks the rain will wash all keeps of thing in the river and the fish will be along the bank at the ALL YOU CAN EAT DINNER.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Check back tomorrow and I will let you know!! I am heading out in the morning. :D

I don't have much experience in steady rain while fishing for big cats. Since I started after big cats the rains have mainly been quick pop-up showers. We had one good rain this summer that made one of the feeder rivers look like a red clay dirt field. Obviusly the bite there was horrible initially, but after a few settling days it took off.

I would bet that river fishing is much different that lake fishing. Rivers are more quickly affected by rain, and the rise probably presents a much faster reaction than a lake that takes a few days to start to rise significantly.

I will probably gamble and head the boat for some creeks to see if the cats are moving after "new meat" being washed in. I will let you know how it goes.

5. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My best trips this summer have been fishing shallow areas at the grass line when there has been a heavy cloud cover with a steady all day rain. I generally only get to fish in the morning and the bites often quit by 9 am, except when it is raining. I fish a little unusual in that I am always on the move, casting just like I were bass fishing. A lot of the time I fish small pieces of cut bait on a texas rig type set-up, although I use a 1\0 hook instead of a bassin worm hook. Fishing like this in the rain has worked all summer.

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Fish don't care if its raining. I went out today in the rain. It got me out of the house, got me wet and I didn't catch a thing. I slipped on three wet roots, caught a tree bass and kicked my bait in the lake. Bad day?? Naw! I was at the lake. Good enough for me.

Matt

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I believe fishing in the rain is one of the best conditions for cats. I have caught my biggest cats in such conditions, and also lost some big ones as well in those conditions.

8. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

The most productive catfishing i have ever had has been in the rain,i try
    to get where the water is running in to the lake after a good gully washer
    storm,to me finding a good hole like that would be better than a date with
    pamela anderson. ;)

9. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    suck it up and wear a ponco. just kidding. I don't mind fishing in the rain. It doesn't matter to the fish.

10. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    I sat in the rain for 6 hours yesterday and had ALOT of good runs caught one 5 pound channel.I love fishing in the rain go to the dollar store buy a poncho for a 1 works wonders.I would say fishing in the rain is pretty productive so give it a shot you might like it, and another good thing is there isent that many people out there so thats a plus

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Well, it works.

I fished today in the rains from Tropical Storm Tammy. Not a bad day. Eleven cats from 3-7 pounds. Most were in the 4 - 5 1/2 pound range, and the 7lb 2oz. was the big fish. All were caught shallow in water 4-8 feet deep on Crappie fillets.

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    OK after a month an a half of hot dry day is rainning here an hard to. will hit river first thing tomorrow fish the banks boys 2 to 8 feet on the flats.

13. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like fishing on a moderate rise of a creek or river. It seems to turn the bit on.

14. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    I am hitting the river tonight it has rained for 3 days now all from Tammy.The river should be at a good height it was pretty low befor we got all this rain.Hopefully i will hook into a nice one tonight :thumbsup:

15. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Fishing the rain can produce some good results. I have fished the rain many times. when the thunder starts I will go to the truck :D

16. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    In San Diego especially, good heavy rains meant good heavy dose of good sized channels. During the wintertime at a lake I used to fish i would love the beginning of trout season. We would always get a good heavy rain, right around that time of year and the cats would go nuts. I fished with mackeral or night crawlers and i would slay the channels.

When it rains the cats move into the shallow water to feed on everything that is being washed into the water. If you really think about it, especialy in heavy rains there is a feast flowing into the shallows.

-Brian

17. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    looks like if i get to fish this week it will be in the rain

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ;) sometimes ive caught more in and after the rain than during. i have a bananna yellow full bidy rain suit. if it aint hailing or lightning i aint leaving. when i go im there for the duration. ;)

19. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Almost everytime I fish in the rain I get skunked. I guess I am not in the right area, or I get there to late after it has started raining. Will keep trying though.

20. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    one of the best trotline runs i had last winter was about eight hours into a torrential rain. slacked up a bit so i headed out to run 'em and just my luck
    20 mins from the ramp down it came again in buckets. CCCCOLDDDDD.
    worth it tho... 75 hooks yielded about 50 fish and a good dozen well over ten lbs.