Fishin in OKC?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Larry Collier, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I am going to be in OKC for 2 months starting July 1st. Does anyone have suggestions for fishing the city?

I will be doing 9 weeks of radiation therapy at OU Med Center. I'm not sure how active I'll be as time goes along so any tips on fishing close to the Whitten Inn at 50th and Lincoln where I'll be staying would be great.

How about Lake Hefner or maybe Overholser? I'm not particular about species. If it breathes water and will pull my string I'll be happy.

For those that have been around awhile and are surprised to see me again, well, now ya know why. I been kinda pre occupied with other things for a few months.

Best to Ya's

Larry

2. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    Hefner's a pretty good lake. Cats, walleye, sandies, crappie are good. Bass, fair. Your best bet for info would be to call Brandon's Bait &Tackle. 405-359-9886. That's his Edmond #. I think he just opened up another store right next to the lake again.
    Daily pass is $3, annual is $15. Academy on 63rd sells them.
    Lake has a couple fishing docks near the boat ramps. I see lots of people fish off the breakwater by the ramps. The inlet on the SW side is easily accessable and a friend has been doing well on channels there.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Praying that all goes well with your treatment.

3. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    Just called them. Jones & Jones Bait. 405-722-3443. Open 24 hours!!!!! Used to be Hefner B & T. He doesn't sell lake passes yet.

4. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Thanks Steve - I have the numbers and tips jotted down in my notebook! I appreciate the help.

Larry

5. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Larry- Do you want to catch and keep or catch and release?

catman george

6. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma

What an idea! A bait shop open 24 hours. Why cant I ever find one of those when I need it? :confused2:

7. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey larry! there are some ponds in okc that you can fish in. I think the closest one to you is probably in Edwards park near N.E. 16th and bryant.
    there are a few others around that might have ok fishing. If you go to google and type in "close to home fishing", you can get on the site that lists all the local fishing ponds and lakes. The ponds in the close to home program havent been around for a long time so they might not ave real big fish. keep us posted if you try those ponds. good luck!

8. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Larry- Do you want to catch and release or catch and keep? Since you are in the motel, I assume you have no way of freezing and retaining your catch. Send me a PM.

catman george

9. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Hiya Guys:

Well the first week is over and all went well. But the Dr asked me to hold off on outdoor activites this summer. According to him although I feel great now he doesn't want me doing anything that will tax my system, including the heat of summer.

Maybe I should hang out at one of those 24 hour baitshops. Sounds like a good place to meet ladies with similar interests. That is what those emails I get all the time about dating are talking about isn't it?

Again, thanks guys for the suggestions. I wiah I could try a few spots but I will take my Dr's advise for awhile and see how it goes.

Best to Yas

Larry

10. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    ya are local baitshop is the crieck! haha!

11. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I took a rod with me this week and drove to Hefner lake looking for a shady spot to park my chair. I never wet a line! I drove to the south end where I saw shade trees and flushed a covey of gay males. I decided to follow my doctors advise after all and went back to the motel and read a book!

Larry :cool2:

12. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    OOOHHHHH, NOOOOOOOOO!!!! NOT THAT PARK!:eek:oooh: I never even thought to warn you of that one!! Go to the west side, where the water inlet is.