Fishin Gimmicks And Gadgets

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Tangler, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Hey everyone. As a result of boredom I wanted to start a thread about all those nifty little fishing gimmicks and gadgets that you see on TV all the time. The SNAP'r, Line Dancer, The Pen Fishing Rod, The Surf Sling, Bait Boats, are a few examples. Has anyone ever bought any of these items? And if so, did they catch you more fish? Or do what they promised? I'd also like to hear the most rediculous ones you have ever seen.

Tang

2. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to suffer from insomnia. Not a bad deal for a catfish addict! But the sleepless nights also led to the infomercials I fell victim to: I bought both the "flying Lure" and the "helicopter Lure".
    Both lures caught me at 3 am. , Neither caught any fish. Cool thread!

Anyone need a ab lounge or a ginsu knife set?

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    My Opinion:: Most of them are to catch the want to be fisherman, Rather than the fish. I haven't seen to many of them that target catfish, but Mostly the bass and pan fish crowd

4. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i bought my soon to be ex wife a zebco hawg seeker spincast, got it on sale at basspro, she seen it and liked it and she liked to read while fishing with the pole in the chair, well it isnt a bad idea, just doesnt work the way catfisherman would want it too, the bait alarm system doesnt work unless the bail is CLOSED, so no pushing the button or having the bail open on the spinning version, now th rod is a decent rod and i like how the grips are designed. other than that its not a bad idea just needs that one change, would work really well for boating, just not good for bank fishing. i cant count the times small channels bout ripped it outta the chair..:smile2::smile2:

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I fell victim to it once and turned out good! I caught so many huge largemouth on the ole Banjo Minnow!!:smile2:

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I ordered one of those for my 11year old son I hope he doesn't lose the thing to a big channel :eek:oooh:

7. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    the Ronco pocket fisherman was a fad from the 70's

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    never have bought any of them seeing how they usually don't pertain to cats.

9. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi

I see what you guys are getting at. However several automatic hooksetters have been on the market in the past few years which have used catfisherman as their target audience. Not to mention the different lights and bait alarms that have come in the mix. I have even been toying around with the idea of making short poles that automatically set when the line is tugged. When i finish I'll put up a new post with video to show them.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Let's see now, back when I was growing up, and they still used stone hooks, I bought a self-propelled bass lure. It was red & white, and I think it had one small treble hook on it. It came apart somehow, and you filled the insides with something or other (don't remember what); put it in the water, the water made the stuff fizz, and the fizz went out a hole and made the lure move around. No, I never caught a fish on it.
    Another gimmick designed to catch fishermen was an automatic hook-setter float. It had a rod-type thingie sticking out the bottom, and you attached your line to that. The rod was spring-loaded so that you could pull it out to set it; when you got a bite, the spring jerked the rod back up and set the hook. Sounds good in theory, but it was really hard to set it out without triggering the hook setter, so I never used it much. Can't remember if it ever actually caught a fish.
    A good item was the fish grabber. It has two opposing jaws that close when you pull the handle (one-handed operation). It works super great for grabbing smaller catfish and holding them while you unhook them. Give them a flip to release them unharmed. Tip: the metal ones are great; the plastic ones are junk.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Let's see now, back when I was growing up, and they still used stone hooks, I bought a self-propelled bass lure. It was red & white, and I think it had one small treble hook on it. It came apart somehow, and you filled the insides with something or other (don't remember what); put it in the water, the water made the stuff fizz, and the fizz went out a hole and made the lure move around. No, I never caught a fish on it.
    Another gimmick designed to catch fishermen was an automatic hook-setter float. It had a rod-type thingie sticking out the bottom, and you attached your line to that. The rod was spring-loaded so that you could pull it out to set it; when you got a bite, the spring jerked the rod back up and set the hook. Sounds good in theory, but it was really hard to set it out without triggering the hook setter, so I never used it much. Can't remember if it ever actually caught a fish.
    A good item was the fish grabber. It has two opposing jaws that close when you pull the handle (one-handed operation). It works super great for grabbing smaller catfish and holding them while you unhook them. Give them a flip to release them unharmed. Tip: the metal ones are great; the plastic ones are junk.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I got one of those Banjo minnow kits. I have caught bass on them. A buddy of mine had got some of those Flying lures (the big ones) and would go below dams and throw it against the dam and try to find holes and stuff and let it dart under them. He has caught some #20+ Flatheads like this during the day.