fishin for a livin

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by sambo, Jan 5, 2008.

1. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    I was just wondering if anyone out there is lucky enough to be able to make a living from fishing. And if so please share some information with the rest of us .

2. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    LoL..yea i have that dream all the time, right up till the alarm clock goes off!

But seriously i think if i had a bigger boat/barge type system i would try and charter out:wink:

3. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    Yeah if i knew where to find big fish i would start a guide service , but i dont see that happening anytime soon.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well if I didn't fish I would die of a heart attack, so I guess it makes a "livin" for me..:big_smile:

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    You know...I have thought seriously about getting an outfitters license in Kansas.

The Se corner of the state where I live is a wide open market.

There is a couple pheasant/chukkar/quail pen bird operations going on.

But nothing for deer, turkey hunting, or fishing. (Spoonbill, migrating blues, flathead, crappie, whitebass)

Then again...I think I enjoy our little rural area not having a spotlight on it just the way it is.

Also...I'd be afraid that fishing as a job would eventually turn into just yet another job.

Perhaps a guide isn't my best career path.

But what I'd really be interested in would be to learn taxidermy, or to perhaps run my own large scale bird dog kennel.

It'd be tough goin'...but they say that you'll never work harder for someone else as you will for yourself.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i wish we could comm. fish here in kansas, i know i would do it

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol yeah and you see the stack of bills that need to be paid.:wink:

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well i have a bad heart so it may be the opposite for me,i might die of a heart attack FROM fishing.The only way to go.:big_smile:

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    being a fishing guide sounds good but you better be a real patient people person and can handle smart ass younger people if u know what i mean. and to do it right is long hour days catching bait, then fishing 6 to 8 hours then cleaning fish, cleaning the boat and gear ,keeping up with advertising ,phone calls, doing sports shows ect . and the cost of insurance is very high and people are very ruff on seats and gear. u better have some good sponsers. end the end it may destroy what u love about fishing the most.

10. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    How would a man go about getting sponsors ? As far as the smart azz young punks we have enough gators here to humble any man , woman or child . Just joking the gators have better taste than that . But really this is a serios issue that i am considering ,in my region of the state there is a monopoly waiting to happen . The only competition would be recreational fishermen and about 3 or 4 commercial fishermen . the only problem would be , being able to consistently locate big fish . One here and there is common , i think the average size blue cat is 20 lbs , and a 50 lb cat is not uncommon , but as i stated before the locating them part is not as easy as one might think.

11. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    i have thought about filming small trips with the buddies....would probably end up being somethin like waynes world on the lake.. would probably go broke doin it , but it would be fun.. i wouldnt make a good guide too many times out and no fish.. clients probably wouldnt like me drinking all thier beer:tounge_out:

12. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    but seriously you might want to become a farmer... fish farmer:embarassed:

13. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    already do that , i have one pond with bluegill and some small catfish that i threw in there . its very convienant to go into the back yard and catch my bait for the big cats.Just throw in a basket and come back in an hour or two and you have more bait than you can use legally.

14. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    sambo if you are really serious your best bet is to start out as a part time guide on your days off of work and keep records of the people u took out what u charged and dates basically keep a real good log book. hit all the marinas , baitshops , news papers , ect to start your advertising. as long as your clients catch fish most will be happy action is the key for most people catching a big one is a bonus. rember to take plenty of pics to keep with your log book and repeat customers will be a big help and word of mouth from happy clients u took . after a few months or couple years depending on how it goes for you then u can look for good sponsers tackle, gear,boat,ect thats why u want to keep a good log and pics and best if u can show tax income paper work to prove your buisness potential to the sponsers. if it comes to the point where u can make a living at it then your set. ask local guides how they got started also if they wont help contact guides in other states im sure somebody would help you out. best bet is to start out part time i think and work into it so after exspensives and so on u will be able to see just how much it would take to make a living at it and if it would be achievable.

15. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Don't forget a website. (That's a must have in todays Google mentality)

Become affiliated with the local chamber of commerce as well...the more people you reach...the better.

Especially if they Google search the town they plan on visiting...and already have hiring a fishing guide in mind.

A link to your website would be a handy tool...even more so with your past clients catch pics posted on it.

16. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    That would be a great retirement job more so than anything. Would be the coolest though.

J

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thought you were catching 70 pound fish? :smile2: rollo

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    also, i just reviewed your other thread, you said 15 fish a night with 2 or 3 over 50... i know professional guides that can't guarentee that... sounds like to me you are qualified for the position....:wink: rollo

19. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    scott
    you are the man of the day.You just know what to say.and you said it rite.

thanks

20. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I started off being a weekend guide for stripers in the early 90's and kept a diary of every trip and took note of water temp., direction and speed of the wind, moon phase, type of bait that was sucessful, trolling speed, etc. In the late 90's, my homeowner insurance company informed me that they could no longer include my guiding service on my homeowners insurnance. Thus I quit guiding untill 2002 when I found a company that would insure charter boats and guides.

After I retired and sold my real estate appraisal business and moved to LKN I decided to try guiding again, but this time for not only stripers, but catfish. Now, 70% of my business is for the mighty catfish.

Guiding is not for a person with thin skin, in this good old US of A we have a lot of different type people with different personallities, some are good and some are down right rude. A guide can not chose his clients, they chose you. Thus you have to work with what you have. I approach every trip based on my three E's, educate, entertain and enjoy the fish that you catch, if I do this, my party most of the time is pleased and if they are pleased, I am pleased.

Cat Angler was right when he said that it was an ideal retirement job. There are some young fishing guides in the market place that are sucessful, but I bet there are not many that soley cater to the catfish market.

Some things that can help you enter the market place quicker is to win a few local catfish tounaments, them maybe a regional tournament and then the big one, Cabela's King Kat Classic. Getting a local sport writer to do a story about you would help, getting into one of your state fishing maz's would really help. Getting on a fishing show on TV would scoot you on up there.

Once you are a guide, the best advertisement you can get is from word of mouth from your old clients, most of which, will be repeat customers and they will tell everybody about you. Then, there is the internet, you almost have to have a web site with good verbage and good photo's of clients with fish and some of you with some trophy fish.

Dang, I make it sound so easy to be a guide.