fishin altamaha

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by ArmyCatfish, Aug 12, 2008.

1. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Anyone fished the altamaha round jaycees lately? myself armycats altamahajon his wife and her cousin are planning on hittin the water friday. just lookin for any updates if not i will post ours as soon as i can.:big_smile::cool2:

2. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jon,

My wife and I put in at Jaycee's Landing at sun up this past Saturday.
    It was miserable last week! Water level was posted as 1.3'...I lost count of how many times we got grounded on sandbars that shouldn't have been out as far as they were!

But then again, a not-so-fun-day on the Altamaha is better than a day working in the yard! :wink:

All I can say is I hope the water level rises some for ya'll. Based on today's rain and a peek at the NOAA River level prediction, it should be much better!

Good luck...and be sure to post an update!
    - Marty -

3. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Altamaha Terri just posted a new tournament that the Wayne Co. Board of Tourism is holding........ Looks like its going to be another busy weekend Aug 22-23. You can find it under BOC Partners from the main Catfish1.com page.

Looking forward to hitting the water this weekend. Hope the water level comes up some. From NWS prediction it is to rise Friday.

AJ

4. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the heads up. We're not really into tourneys, so we'll stay away from the river next weekend.

Looks like it'll start rising Friday, but we'd be much happier with the 3+' levels they're showing come Monday...:wink:

- Marty -

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    it rained up here around the lake almost all last night and into the late morning hours. your river down there should be on a nice rise by friday. go wear 'em out......

6. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well, looks like NWS has changed their mind/prediction. They had the river rising to 3+ feet by Monday, now it looks like it isn't even gonna hit TWO feet all weekend! :angry:

So Jon, AJ...y'all make it to the river today?

My wife and I are (were) planning to go either tomorrow or Sunday. But the new NWS prediction has us wondering...:confused2:

- Marty -

7. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    We did have a good weekend on the River. Spent the night Friday night and fished all night from a sand bar around the rail road trussell south of JC landing but did not get anything. I feel that the barometric pressure was down to 26 millibars and that was the cause of no catches. There were not alot of bites at all period. Weather was in the 80's around 9 p.m. and down to around 76 which was real pleasant. Real nice full moon with clear skies. Water temp was in the mid 80's or higher. Current was slow where we were at. We fished with Bream and KOI Golds.

Armycatfish and Ben went down Friday around 3 and set up. We joined them around 8 p.m. or so. Cuda Cada stopped by on his way down and we spook for a few. Had a nice visit with him. We left the sandbar around noon Saturday.

River is ok as long as you know where to go. I am learning more and more from the guys in Hinesville about the river and navigation of it and places to fish. CUDOS to these guys. Great Sportsmenship.

AJ

8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good read Gents...

My time is coming soon, wife is taking a few days off. :smile2:

9. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dang!

I had a feeling that might have been y'all on that sandbar!!! :tounge_out:

The wife and I anchored just down river of that sandbar Saturday morning and fished for a while...until Denise cast over the top of that old paddlewheel and lost the first of several rigs! :smile2:

We have to agree that fishing was a little tough. Heck, it was so tough that I got skunked!

But Denise didn't!

In fact, I congratulate Denise on her FIRST FLATTY:

P1020291.jpg

We dont' have a scale, but I'm guessing it was about 10-12 pounds. Sure was fun watching her try to bring that flat in. At first she told me she was hung AGAIN. She was tugging on her line when all of a sudden her drag started SCREAMING! I told her that a hangup isn't gonna take drag like that, and that she better hang on and start reeling! I think I was more excited than she was!!! She also landed a nice 2-3 channel that will join the flatty in the fryer! :wink:

And AJ, I'm with you regarding learning the river. Each time we go out, it gets a little easier to navigate. At least I know where NOT to go! :eek:oooh:

Hopefully we'll hook up one of these trips and get to meet y'all!

Thanks for your update...
    - Marty n Denise -

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Congrats, Denise, on a fine flattie!
    Bill in SC

11. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Well I be darn. Well good to see yall lol. Congratulations Dennis on your Flattie. We had thought about coming home and getting some rest and heading back out but plans changed. Ended up going out of town with guest that we had with us for the weekend. Lets hook up sometime and wet a hook.

AJ

12. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks AJ...and I'll make sure Denise isn't too upset about you calling her DENNIS! :happy:

- Marty n Denise -

13. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Thats the dyslexia kicking in......lol

14. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    like greg said nothin from the sandbar fri night. me and armycats caught a channel about 5 lbs and one about 3 as well as a 15lb flathead on limblines. but that is realy quite slow for how that river usualy produces for us. hope to get out again this coming weekend so we will keep ya'll updated on how to catch fish or i mean how the fishing is. goodluck to everyone

15. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Hope yall have good luck down there did you enter the tournament?

Cuda Cada said
    he had lots of bites that seemed to be either channels or flatheads. Ended up with six flatheads and one channel cat. Five of the flatheads and the channel were under 10 pounds but one flathead was 27 pounds.

Thanks for the great sportsmanship you guys have shown to us and all the tips advise and help. Dont think we will make it this weekend.

Greg
    AJ

16. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Hoping Tropical Storm Fay would come on up and dump some water on middle and north Ga. and fill the lakes in North Georgia and help this water situation everywhere.

Greg
    AJ

17. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    looks like it will come over ga. we hope it will maby it wan`t flood like it did in 94

18. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    well looks like the river come up a lil so far. but over all dont think this storm is gonna do what we'd hoped for. oh well i intend to catch a bunch of fish friday night and will let yall know asap

19. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    they closed the schools in the valdosta area. i need to get up with you guys and fish this river. heading to panama city this weekend for some salt fishing.

20. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    well the weather is rough but we aint scared we will be out all night tonight have a report fir yall tomrow