Fishgeek's 1448

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Fishgeek, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I finally got rid of my old boat so I was able to begin work on modifying my old trailer to fit my new 1448 jon boat. I got off all the old rotted bunks along with the mounting hardware. Everything went pretty smooth - only 1 broken bolt that gave me problems...I think I'm going to have to drill it out b/c its rusted in there pretty good. Minor problem.

Question: Actually 2 questions...

1) If you shouldn't use treated lumber for the floor in your aluminum boat, should you not use treated lumber for trailer bunks as well? (I'll assume the answer is yes). Should I try get cedar or just use regular pine 2x4 & treat it with Thompsons Waterseal?

2) Is it OK to lay 2x4s on edge to use as bunks or should they be laid flat? I've seen trailers rigged both ways.

I have beginning pics but I couldn't find my USB cord to upload pics. And, since its 1:50am I'm not planning on looking too hard tonight!

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I personally wouldn't use treated lumber for the bunk boards not only because of the aluminum boat, but it will also eat away at your trailer (especially if its a painted trailer). I would probably use cedar, but there's nothing wrong with pine in this application. If you think about it, its not like the bunks are laying on the ground or constantly in the water. You dip them and then pull them out. They are also under the boat during storage, which should keep them pretty dry. Thompsons water seal will go a long way in making them last also.

The bunks on my trailer are on edge (skinny side supporting the boat). This is the way it came when i bought it brand new. Flat will provide more support, but i've never known anybody around here to have problems with it on edge.

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Trailer is stripped down, wire brushed, and primed. Man, the trailer even looks better in primer than it did yesterday! Hopefully it will look even better when I get it painted. I still can't find my USB cable...I think I'll order a new one tonight....and hopefully have pics in a couple days.

4. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Get them pics posted, and we can see youre progress.

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    My USB cord will be here tomorrow so I'll post pics sometime tomorrow night. First coat of paint went on tonight. The new motor came today. I'm shooting to have it on the water this weekend...but that will be pushing it!

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I finally got the USB cord so here's some pics. All my work so far has been on the trailer.

Attached Files:

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Now the almost complete trailer (I still need to bolt on the side bunk boards). Oh yeah, and the kids decided they needed to wash the new boat yesterday. Yes, the one boy has no pants on! :embarassed:

Next step: Decide what I'm going to do about the floor. Then wiring, rod holders, how to mount my bow-mounted trolling motor...I might make it out on the water this summer!

Attached Files:

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Boat, motor, & trailer...

I guess I need to do something with that old wheel now! LOL!!

Attached Files:

9. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Trailer came out real nice, sure did make a difference. Ya, looks like you might have to paint those wheels now.

10. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    looks good matt . you got a good looking bunch of deck hands too :smile2: looks like your gonna nead a lot of scubby-doo poles :smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Adjusted the trailer bunks a bit tonight and started on the floor. I'm putting the styrofoam insulation board down between the ribs to support the floor like some of you others have done. I think I'm going to go with plywood (non-treated) for the floor & coat it with the marine epoxy.

Attached Files:

12. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

State:
    copan ok
    Matt, looking good. that is the way I did mine, the insulatation will make it much quiter,after the insulatation I ran all of the wiring for the front of the boat then I used 3/16 aluminum sheet for the floor, cost more but it will be there forever. the only thing I have had to do is replace the carpet three times. hang in there and u will be on the water before U know itlwest

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    looking good brother looking good!

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Got the floor done although I'm going to put down some texture paint to make it a little less slippery.

Attached Files:

15. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    My next question is how should I mount my bow trolling motor? Should I mount it following the angle of the bow & therefore make the shaft & prop, when in the water, basically right in the front of the boat (which means when the motor is pulled up on the deck the top sticks out over the side 6-7 inches)?

Or....

Attached Files:

16. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    ...mount the trolling motor parallel to the side of the boat & when the using the motor the shaft/prop will be off to the side of the bow & not actually at the very front?

Attached Files:

17. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Nice setup and yiou did a great job on the trailer.

18. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Larry...suggestions on how I should mount that trolling motor???

19. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i know on my boat we moved factory mount so motor head was not hanging over gunnel of boat it was inside boat my 2 cents

20. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hey Matt! Nice rig brother! Good job! Hope you have alot of fun with her! :0a22: