Fishfinders

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by turnerchop5, Jan 15, 2010.

1. turnerchop5

turnerchop5 Member

State:
    ky
    What do you guys look for in a fish finder. Does the 5-6 hundred dollar finder make a difference. Right now I am rocking the single beam 525 hummingbird. When u fish do u actually look for fish on your finder or structure. Been thinking about getting a new one.

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    It is easy to get caught up in what retailers say a fishfinder can do, hell just its name suggest that it will put fish in the boat by itself. Use it to locate fish if you want, but if you are going to do that make sure you learn how to read it with the fish icons off. With fish icons it will constantly mark fish ,every time you pass over a stump, stick or sumerged leaf.With the icons off you can look for arches layed up behing structure or drops and actually use it to find fish, only thing you won't know what kind of fish. If you are not real familiar with fishfinders use the one you got at least till you can kind of pick up on how it works and see's underwater. Then if you want go and get youself a better one go ahead. I had a Humminbird 135 and it served me well for a long time , but I fell to all the sales pitches and bought a expensive one. The graphs are not much better than the 135 though they are in color, but I really love the gps. To answer your question about using the fishfinder to find fish, somes yes and sometimes no, but always to find structure..

3. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I have had a few even paper graph and they just keep getting better. I would say for 600 you can see fish and structure with no problem. I would like to have side scan but they need to come down in price. For now I am happy with 2D downscan. There are a lot of techno terms used for marketing, don't get too caught up with that. Look at humminbird they now have 50 channel GPS what the heck, there are only 30 birds up there and you can only pick up 9-11 at one time. 16 channel is plenty how much extra does 50 cost?

4. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i use mine to find structure mostly, on occasion i do use it to mark fish. but only a couple of times when i have actually marked fish on the sonar did i actually catch a fish. seems if i don't mark any i usually end up catching fish

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its all about what you want to get out of it, the newer finders definitley give you an advantage, If, and I say if, you can put the time in and learn the technology. Side Imaging is a great example. You could show up at a stretch of water you have never seen in your life, and right off the bat start finding structure and fish. But no you dont need that stuff to catch fish. For me though, anything that gives me an advantage is something I will put money into if I can. But it has to make sense, if someone tells me that this "whipper snipper" will make me catch more fish guaranteed, it gotta be more than a sales pitch. It has to be something i know will give me a better chance, and side Imaging is a perfect example.

Just decide for yourself what it is you want out of your finder, if its just GPS and color, you dont have to spend a fortune.

6. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for posting guys .Im in the same boat ,What to bye

7. longhaulpointer

longhaulpointer New Member

State:
    ohio
    this is a great post, i know i have no idea what i'm doing with my fish finder. I've got a hundred dollar model from bass pro and when i'm on the river w the fish marker on is shows fish everywhere. When i put it on the arch locator i never see any arches, never! Can you vets point me in a good direction to learn more about how to use the finder, perhaps if anyone knows of a good article, you know veteran tips and tricks etc? I asked around the counter at bass pro and they weren't very helpful. Plus the directions that came w the sytem are pretty vague.I'd like to have a better, more expensive, system, but this boating stuff is espensive, so i'm stuck for a while w what i got

8. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    YOU WILL THINK I'M NUTS BUT-- WHEN MY FISH FINDER SHOWS FISH I DO NOT GET ONE SINGLE BITE. IF IT SHOWS STRUCTOR OR A DEEP HOLE AND NO FISH THEN I HAVE A GOOD DAY CATCHING FISH. SO YOU TELL ME WHAT THE BOOK SHOULD SAY ABOUT THAT???

9. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    best way to learn it is either get a veteran to come out on your boat and show you in person or his boat.

10. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have heard that using the fish symbols on a finder is a bad idea for three main reasons. 1. I have heard it draws more power...(not sure) but heard it takes more power to display the fish symbol, that just an arch. Two, you dont get as good separation of fish from structure...and sometimes the finder is confused, where a human may (a trained human or vet) be able to discern the difference in structure and fish. Thirdly, and why you see fish symbols and no arches when you switch. I heard the fish symbols are unreliable, because they often pick up debris that is suspended in the water and then display a fish symbol. With arches, depending on your sensativity, much of this clutter is filtered out, and you can begin to decide what is clutter, baitfish, structure, fish, etc.

11. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Long haul......you may not have your transponder level when the boat is in the water. If It's not then you won't get an arch ! If it is level, in the water, and your not getting arches then maybe something else is wrong. Any graph will not show a perfect arch if your not running over the fish perfectly. Do a little research on the lowrance site....I think they show how this works. If you can't find it let me know and I'll copy it out of my manual for you. Fish that are deeper will show better arches than fish that are say 10 feet or less. This is because the deep fish are more likely to be in your"cone" better than shallow fish. Example....when we see shad (big ones)on our graph they are normally fairly close to the transponder and they will show up as blobs and not arches. Turn your fish symbols off and then mess with the sensitivity....get in 20 ' plus water....turn up ping speed to 100%. Let us know what ya find !