Fishfinders - If you had it to do over....

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by arja4444, Nov 19, 2006.

1. arja4444

arja4444 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Brothers, I need some help. I want to put a fishfinder on my boat this winter. Want to stay under $1,000.00...and get the most for the bucks that I can. If you have a fishfinder now, what would you want to improve on if you were getting a new one? And why? Or, if you have one, what do you like/dislike about it? And why? I've looked at so many they all look alike to me now. So I thought I'd better tap into the tremendous pool of knowledge and experience of the BOC. Any and all information/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    You can check out the members ads section. I believe there are few good deals there.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I recently bought a Lowrance LCX-25C as an upgrade from an Eagle FishElite 480 and I couldn't be happier with it - easy to read color display, nice big 7" screen, GPS, high power, all the bells and whistles. There's probably a better sonar on the market but I don't know what features it would have that my unit doesn't - I'm certainly not missing anything that I know of...

Of course part of the reason I'm happy with mine is that I got it for a song and a dance... I got mine on sale at Cabelas for $799 and got a $150 gift card with the purchase (I forget why - some promotional thing in the mail). So I used the $150 gift card to buy a $150 Navionics HotMaps Premium map card. And there is a $50 mail-in rebate on the Navionics card. Bottom line is I ended up getting both the X-25C and Navionics card for $649 out of pocket.

4. nitecatt

nitecatt New Member

State:
    Indiana
    MAN!!! As my grandpa used to say, "ya dun good boy". You won't find 25C's for $649 very often. Appreciate the comments T, I'm kinda leaning toward Lowrance anyway and I will give the 25C a real good look.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I upgraded from an eagle 480 back in June. Bought a lowrance X107c df. I really didn't need the dual frequency, but went with it because I do go offshore in deep water on rare occasions. I only wish I had bought a combo unit w/gps at the time. I already had a garmin gps, so didn't think I needed a combo. Recently had a chance to purchase a lowrance lms337cdf combo, so now I've posted the x107 for sale in member sales. I have to say that the eagle 480 does a wonderful job for the money, but the color and extra power of the x107 makes a real difference. The lms 337 has the same sonar feature. Yesterday I actually watched as a black sea bass followed my line from the bottom, took the bait, and then I landed him. How cool is that?

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have owned Lowrance almost from the original Green Box.The best thing about them is their website though, where you can actually use any of the finders by downloading the proper Emulator for it.Also a wealth of info there that will make you a better operator.I've said it before and I'll say it again I can own any finder I want without regard to price and I choose Lowrance.Most of the guides I fish with around the country own Lowrance.I am anxiously awaiting the release of their 2007 models as this should be an upgrade year.Good luck:big_smile:

7. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I just got a Lowrance LMS 480 I havent figure everything out on it yet but it looks realy good. I got it for 599.00 if I had the extra money for 200 more I would have gotten the color unit.

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I upgraded from a Garmin 160, I think,to a LMS334C. The lower price unit showed structure real well, but wasn't good on bait fish, etc. The new unit is,I like the color and love the gps, even I can't get lost. There are probably better units out there. Mine cost $599 and I am pleased with it. I thought about not getting the gps, but am now glad I did. It is much easier to navigate than my handheld. Lowance offers some lake maps and electronic updates on their website. I am certainly no expert, but a good unit is worth the money.

Jim

9. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Does anybody know when Lowrance will release info. on 2007 models?

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Lowrance is traditionally slow with their new catalogs but I just got a new catalog from Basspro that showed some of the new models.I think it was the Off Shore catalog.One thing they have done, that I saw during a quick look was increase the capacity of the hard drive.WHat would be more important to me would be to increase the pixel counts.When the 111s came out they had the same pixel count as the 15LCXs so all they were was a bigger screen which actually reduced the resolution.I pointed this out to their reps at various shows and wrote to the company also and they did up the count.Unfortunately ,more pixels equals more money as there is no free lunch.:big_smile: :lol:

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I bought a Lowrance LMS 480 three years ago. The first one gave problems then finally stop working. I sent it back to Cabela's for replacement. If I was getting a new one today it would be definitely be color.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    If I had to do it over again I would buy a Garmin 178c with a triducer. Its what I have now and its awesome. I have went through an X52 and three X107c from lowrance and the garmin is better hands down.

13. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The Lowrance 25c is now being phased out at Cabelas. They are marked down to $799 and from Dec 15th to the 24th they are taking $100 off if you join thier club and use thier Visa for the purchase.

They are out of stock thru the catalog but some stores have a few left. I contacted Lowrance and they said they would still be serviceable for at least 5 more years even tho the new model will be released sometime in January

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am cheapo, so I bought the Eagle. They look and run like a Lowrance, but are 25%-30% cheaper. :cool2: