Fishfinder problem

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by hossdaniels, Jul 9, 2007.

1. hossdaniels

hossdaniels New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I just got a new humminbird 535 and it is telling me that the water is 800 feet deep in water that i know is less than 10'. Its only the second trip out and it was reading to shallow the first trip. any ideas?

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I like the Lowrance/Eagle brands better.Maybe you can return the bird and try one of those.:cross:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Harold, is that bad reading coming while you are idling, moving at ? speed, or what? That info may help determine what is going on. Turbulence can cause the bad readings sometimes, depending on the boat movement and how the transducer is adjusted on the transom. (It is on the transom, right?) :wink:

4. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I got a new 535 about 2 months ago. I haven't had any trouble with it at slow speeds. If I am running at top speed it will read wrong. Like you said it will read 600 to 700 ft. and i also knew it was wrong. When I am looking fore fish or structure I don't run that fast anyway.

5. hossdaniels

hossdaniels New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the first trip out was just screwin up at higher speeds , but now it is constant. Nope, not on transom, trolling motor mount.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    So you've got your trolling motor in the water while moving at high speed?? That doesn't make any sense.

If it doesn't work while you're sitting still in the water, it could be electrical interference from other devices on board, including your motor. Turn everything else off and see if that clears it up. If so, turn things back on one at a time till you find the source of the problem.

If it works fine when you're not moving but then loses the depth once underway, the problem is likely related to placement of the transducer. It needs to be located where it'll gets undisturbed water flowing around it - any air bubbles or turbulence will tend to make it lose the depth. Move the transducer till you find the sweet spot.

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I know that some fishfinders are very sensitive to electrical noise. The one on my concole is powered through a fuse in the fuse panel and does fine that way. The one on my bow is wired straight to the battery. When I tried to tie into another source of power I got weird readings due to electrical noise. It's a pretty big operation to get that pic. on the screen and get it there right, and you need good "clean" power to the unit in ordr for it to work right. I slightly corroded connection will cause this as well. Check to make sure you don't have any bent pins on the plug where it plugs into the unit. Poor connections make some funky things happen as well! Good luck, and if all else fails, take it back and get another one!

8. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Check the transponder and make sure it is in the right position. I had that problem once and found out that the transponder had shifted.

9. This Guy

This Guy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've seen this when the transducer was pointing just a little bit off. The depth would flash back and forth from max depth to min depth. If it was working before, it may have been bumped out of position, or could have been scratched between outings.