Fishfinder mount on jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Localhero813, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    iam looking to make a mount for my fishfinder to my jon boat seat. i dont really have alot of money so i am looking for cheap. i have alot of junk arround here so if you have any ideas let me know. it has to occasonaly come out of the boat, so it can`t be permanant.

it is a Hummingbird LCR 3004 portable fishfinder.:cool2:

Attached Files:

• 051.jpg
      051.jpg
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views:
    • 052.jpg
      052.jpg
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
  2. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    well you could mount the mount thingy on the boat, and then when you wanna take it else where just take it out of the mount, the mount would be permanent, but you could still do stuff with the fishfinder, but if you want to be able to take the fish finder and the mount places well im not sure, good question and i was about to post on it but hadnt gotten around to it!

3. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Just take and drill you some holes and use some small bungee straps or get you some pipe hanger strips that plumbers use that might work for you

4. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    the mount can stay the fishfinder has to be removable and i dont want something that looks bad or can cause injury to passengers.
    (i have 2 little brothers that will be in the boat at times one is 5 and one is 10):cool2:

5. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i am still looking for ideas if anybody has one:cool2:

6. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
  7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just bought a RAM mount for my jon boat. It was $38 at cabelas, but you can look at it and if you are good at making things, the concept of it is pretty good and you may be able to fabricate something similar. It is kind of a ball and socket concept and you can loosen it to remove the unit. Maybe check it out and see if any of the "junk" around the house can be used to make one. Another idea I just had is this. Have you ever seen those weed eaters that have different detatchable tools? you could mount it on something like that with a snap in the middle like those weed eater shafts.

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I used to use one mounted with the transducer on a large suction cup, it would get knocked off occasionaly but worked most of the time. The display was mounted on a piece of plywood held to the seat with clamps.

9. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dayton,
    Not sure where you want to mount it, but if you wanted it on the seat, you could put something like an oar lock on the seat edge and then build a bracket with a pin for the bottom of the unit and just put the pin in the oar lock or easily pull it out when not needed.
    Just an idea.

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    What about some heavy Velcro it would hold it in the boat and then just "peal" it off when done? then stick it back down when out on next trip, would be cheap enough?

11. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Most units come with a quick disconnect mount that allows the screen to swivel up and down for easy viewing. Mine has a large screw on each side so you can hand tighten it. I keep my boat in a carport so when I am done I take loose two plugs at the back of the screen, unscrew the big screws on the sides and it slips out of the mount. The mount stays screwed to my rear bench seat and the $699.00 Lowrance lives in my gun safe!

12. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Not sure if this will help or not, but here is a pic of how i mounted mine to my jonboat. simply took some aluminum plate and bent it... then mounted the fishfinder bracket to this with some wingnuts and lock washers whenever i want to i just have to loosen 2 wingnuts and I have the whole thing out of the boat.

as you can see this was during the process of rebuilding boat. the nice thing about this design is i use the bent portion to hold my light and baitbox toggle switches.

hope it helps

Attached Files:

13. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey thanks for all the great ideas!!!

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    How about just not mounting it to anything. Seems pretty cheap and easy to remove:eek:oooh: I have a portable depth finder and I found absolutely no need to have it mounted to anything. That way you can move it around the boat whenever needed and if you want to remove it, simply unplug it and you're done.

15. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I purchased a 10 gal Tub from Wal-Mart. I then secured a piece of plywood to the topside of the lid. I mounted my GPS mount on the left side. Then I place my Portable Depth Finder on the right side. It is held in place by a small bungee. You can buy bimini top snap holders that are shaped like a small horseshoe. I put 2 on the floor to hold my tub in place and 2 on the plywood to hold my depth finder. It works great. The Tub offers alot of water proof storage and there is still room on top for tools or tackle.
    My boat is a 2072 Grizzly that I have added a floor to. Hope this helps.

16. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do not know the size of jon boat you have, but I had a 12 footer and used a portable fish finder with it. I went ahead and mounted the transducer on the boat permently instead of using the sucton cups that came with it. I found the part number and got it through cabelas. You might be able to strap down the fish finder or use the ply wood mentioned. I used the weight of the batterys but still had a hard time if water was rough since it was not mounted down. Sorry not much help here, but good luck.

17. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Velcro was the ticket for me. I used it to mount the gps antenna on my boat.