Fishfinder Installation

Discussion in 'Boating' started by JPritch, Apr 22, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I am in the process of installing my Lowrance fishfinder to my boat. Spent the better part of yesterday installing the transducer and running the cable, but it turned out really good.

So today I wanted to install the display and run the power cord to the battery, but the power cord is 4 ft long and will just about touch the floor underneath the console...nowhere near long enough to route to my battery, which is in the back of the boat. Do I need to buy additional wire and splice it somehow? Also, what's the best way to connect the bare wires to the battery terminals once I get the cord length situation figured out?

Thanks for the help everyone...this is all new territory for me.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If it were me, I would try to find the proper size cord first, wet, bumpy environment and all. Splices are, by their nature, a weak link.

IMO Ring Terminals are most always best for a battery connection.

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    lowrance tells how to install and add extra length to the power cord on their site make sure to keep the 3 amp fuse close to the battery and solder the splice and use heat-shrink

4. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Do you have an empty spot in your fuse box, it should be near your console and . Most have 4 + empty spots.

5. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thats where I ran mine too was the fuse box. It was right under the console. If you cant do that then I would just get the proper guage of wire and use the propper hardware to connect them together. If you are running it straight to your battery make sure you have an in-line fuse as well. To attach it to the battery you can get the connectors at wal mart. They are just a loop that connects to the wire. Sorry but I dont know any technical terms for the stuff. Crimp it all together properly with the correct tool, and maybe use some shrink tube on it as well and attach the loop ends to the screw posts on the battery.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm at work now, but I'll check to see if I can hook it up to the fuse box when I get home. If not, I guess I'll have to splice the wires and run it to the battery.

Questions:

- Do I still use the in-line fuse provided by Lowrance when running off the fuse box?

- I remember seeing some ring connectors on my battery terminals already. If I go the route and wire directly to my battery, is it ok to lay the new ring connectors on top of the existing ones, or do I need to add some sort of spacer between them?

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Only if you want Lowrance to honor their warranty... :wink:

Doesn't really matter, but unless your boat is pretty ancient, you shouldn't need to do that; you should be able to access 12VDC somewhere on your console, whether through the "fuse box" or elsewhere.

8. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yes, you could but "Doesn't really matter, but unless your boat is pretty ancient, you shouldn't need to do that; you should be able to access 12VDC somewhere on your console, whether through the "fuse box" or elsewhere." you could overload a fuse for the other console component. Best to put the FF on it's own fuse/circuit, less interference.

9. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    It should run on its own fuse terminal. If you do run it to the battery then it is ok to lay the rings on top of each other. As stated before you "should" have a fuse block. If not, or you do not have enough terminals then you could wire in a new one. They only run about $30.00 or less in some cases and are realy easy to install.

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Done!......by a professional!:lol:

Had to suck up my pride and take it to the boat shop and the guy did it in about 15 minutes.

I attempted to do it myself thanks to everyone's posts, but the fuse box was a confusing mess of wires to me. I couldn't make sense of any of it. And I'm usually good at that type of thing, ie home theatre setup etc...

And why they mount the fuse box so you have to contort your body and neck just to get a good look at it, beats me.:angry:

So, I ended up installing the transducer and display unit, but left the powering up to a pro. I'll take that I guess. I'm now ready to hit the water for my maiden voyage.

11. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Cool, glad to hear you got it going. I had to lay on my back across my seat and get under the dash to get to mine and I am 6' 2" and 250 lbs. so I know what you mean. Big thing is that you got it done.