Fishfinder Important?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bnt55, Mar 27, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    How much do you depend on your fish finder to find fish, not just structure. With the new finders on the market it seems that pinpointing actual fish just takes a glance on the 5" LCD. Have you ever seen a fish arch, dropped a bait/lure down and caught that fish?

Since cats hug the bottom alot I wonder if fish finders are not as important for seeing fish as finding structure at least as far as catfishing is concerned. Just a thought....

Bill

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like the challenge of finding them on my own makes it more sporting if ya ask me.but if i had a boat to put one on heck i might get one to.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I could not do without mine now. I can find the fish where as before I had to just guess. When I find them they may not bite, but I know they are there.

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree 100%

5. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    i love mine it helped me got over 46 fish in the last two weeks. 7 of them from 28.7 to 65.1 lbs. we put 4 p.b. in less then 7 day.
    but it ain't just looking at it it's learning how to read it and what it's telling you info. but if you get one get a good one....... hope this helps

6. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I use mine for finding bottom structure and depths. If I believed the thng with all the fish echos, then I really am doing something wrong because there are tons of fish that I never catch.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would say they are pretty important . Once you use one you cant do without it . I do my share of bank fishing also but I learned all the good spots with a fish finder while in the boat .....

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good electronics are a must for finding structure and for locating fish. Especially when you are on a new lake or stretch of river.

9. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i fish a shallow river with water seldom over 20 ft deep and with a 20 degree cone angle i think that gives you a 6 ft circle that you're looking at in the 20 ft water. i do pick up arches on my sonar but i use it for depth and bottom structure. if i got excited about every arch i saw in that 6 ft circle i would go crazy. some of the guys tell me that they can tell a catfish arch from any other kind of fish, maybe so, i'm skeptical though, i'll stick with the old adage that if you find the right water depth and structure then the fish are probably there.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    For someone who has one and knows how to use it correctly,I think it would be important. I however fish mostly from the bank,and truely I much prefer the wait and see method,I'm not bashing those that use them,Just not my cup "o" Tea.:wink:

11. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I like them for finding structure and would say that it's a pretty important peice of equipment for me. That being said, I could go without one. I did it for years and always had fun so not having one isnt a deal breaker for me. I love fishing out of the boat but I still really enjoy propping my pole on a fork stick on the bank.

12. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A "good" sonar is very important to me. A "good" gps unit is almost or just as important. I use the gps to mark structure that I've found over the years. If I cruise around an area and cover a good deal of water and don't see any arches I usually dont fish that area. If I do fish those areas without seeing arches then usually don't get a bite. If I cruise around and see arches then I focus on the structure anywhere near the area. Also if I mark fish or catch fish in a certain depth of water then you can bet that anywhere on the river/lake that is similar, the sonar will show arches again. I've owned several of the "cheaper" sonar units that showed little fish symbols everywhere and arches everywhere. Like the river/lake is full of them and everywhere I went was the "honeyhole". I have noticed that a good sonar doesn't show anywhere near as many fish, but when it does there are fish there. It takes time to learn how to use one and I'm still learning but am very confident in mine. If you don't have confidence in yours you'll never use it to it's full potential. Some will disagree and that's o.k. but with a good sonar with lots of power and a color screen you can tell catfish from other species. I have proved this time and time again to myself and to others. I can locate a hole that has several large yellow and red arches and sit on it all day and never get a nibble. If I see several large blue arches or mostly blue arches with a hint of red in an area then I can rarely get all the rod's out before one gets bit. Your brand of sonar may be different but you have to spend the time to learn your particular one. I used to think the river/lakes were just full of catfish and if I didn't catch any it was because the "fish just weren't biting". On a side note when in shallow water from say 5-25ft I think a traditional down looking sonar is almost useless, but then again I have no confidence in my unit at those depths and rarely fish those depths.

13. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    well brother, it has actually worked both ways, Ive seen fish archs and cast in and never got a bite, and I have cast into archs and caught some, just because you know they are there, doesnt mean you can make them take the bait, to me the fish finder, helps the odds because its shows you depth they are hanging at, and genrally thats tells you where your best chances are, and you can locate structure , so you know where to go at different times, but the bottom line is,the right place at the right time. GOOD LUCK

14. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I just use mine for finding holes and structure.

15. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    first is finding the fish arches. but that don't mean fish are feeding.
    do you eat all day i don't no you eat when your hungry.
    but i can see if you fish of bank or low water rivers.

16. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i mostly use mine for deph and structure:wink:

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    For me, having a finder made the difference between getting skunked and not getting skunked most of the times out. Once I found the deeper holes and structure, I was able to learn how to fish those areas instead of wasting time on spots that held nothing. I never get arches on my finder so I dont go off that...I just look for potential spots.