Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, After seeing a good gps/fishfinder on both Catfish Fever and Grimpuppy's boat I am thoroughly impressed by what they can do for you. Being able to Mark your spots and know your actual position over structure instead of guessing where the hell you are by terrain makes absolute since for lake fishing. Any suggestions for models in the $300 -$500 range?:handshake: Used is ok also.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Matt I have a Eagle fish elite 640 with GPS. It isn't as fancy as jays but it is color and is fairly easy to run. Until I find a money tree it is going to do me fine. You can buy them off the shelf at Topeka Walley world for $519 I think. I will be out at Milford next weekend on Sat. If you aren't in a big hurry you can check it out. Or go to Eagles wed site and read up on it. They do offer others a little cheaper that are black grey screens but I like the color screen myself.

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip Chris yeah I like the color ones as well but definitely going to do some research. I stopped at Cabelas today and they are redoing their boating section so the combos were slim pickins. I kind of like the 587CI by humminbird. I found it online for $415..

Keith, You know I am a Systems Analyst and work with electronics daily don't you. It might not be necessary to have electronics but I need all the help I can get just ask anyone. I'm probably the only dumbass who went fishing for cats without a net. I also went fishing in 15 mph winds with one little drift sock this past weekend. There is so much extra little crap that I am finding out you need to be able to catch fish consistently on a boat. I would say that I am halfway geared but it would be nice to get there one of these days. Cabelas had a couple deals that I picked up today. $15 for a filet knife 50lb scale combo. $12 for a twin pack of rod holders. One step at a time.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Don't worry Matt I don't own a dip net either. I keep telling myself to buy one but I just never do. Come to think of it I do know the were abouts of a dip net buy the school creek boat ramp.LMAO Just kiddn Jay. (I think its gonna blow out!) YEP there it went.

· Registered
624 Posts
Matt, I just purchased one of the new Lowrance Mark5-X's at Bass Pro. I it is a monochrome(black/white), but also a dual beam sonar. It is very clear and the fish blips show as "arcs" which I like. It is on sale now for $159.99 in Olathe, KS. You can buy the small kit which will give you the temperature/speed. All you have to do is attach the paddle wheel on your transom and plug it in the back of the fishfinder. This is not a "high-tech" fishfinder, but it really shows the bottom contours/structure and fish well. Just thought I would mention it. I will say though, buy the best one you can afford.

· Registered
1,418 Posts

· Registered
2,137 Posts
I have the lowrance LMS 522c and I love mine. Great little unit has a lot of feature and the GPS is right on the mark. I had a B/W unit before this one and thought it was a good unit untill I got this one and boy I was missing alot. I do see these still on the Ebay from time to time a the prices are good on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.