fishfinder advice

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by bigBB, Nov 28, 2007.

1. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    hello, i was hoping to get some advice guys. I am having the wife buy me a fishfinder for Christmas and never having one before wanted to see what you guys thought of the Garmin 400c. I found a place online i can get one for 290 which seamed like a good price for it. Anyone have any experience with this model or have suggestions on another unit in the $2-300 range? I would love to have one that had gps as well, but i'm sure in this price range that is asking to much.. Thanks alot

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bryan, I'm looking at purchasing a fish finder in the near term also.

Interestingly, I have yet to find a better fish finder than the Humminbird PiranhaMAX 240. However, I will probably settle on a 220 model, since I can get one for $99.

It is a compact device suitable for smaller boats, or kayaks like I have. However, it (220) has a dual-beam SONAR not even found in even more expensive Humminbird matrix models! The power output of these units is quite good, and the resolution of the display is decent for a unit so compact. These units are easy to operate, too.

The 240 adds a third beam for additional resolution, becoming almost a full coverage SONAR!

These may seem to be cheaper than what you would be willing to pay, but from what I have been seeing, doubling the price might get you color, but not necessarily better electronics. If you want something better "under the hood," then you're talking about a fish finder in the $500 and up range that might include GPS, or multi-beam SONAR at finer resolutions and more power.

I am interested if anyone has reliability issues with Humminbird products, though. This is the only concern that I have.

3. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    thanks jeremaid.. that humminbird does look like a good unit. being a first time buyer of a FF it is really hard to tell what is hype and what is actually a quality product. thanks for the advice.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You're right on there, Bryan. There is a lot of hype. As with boats, there is a certain "brag factor" that goes with fishfinders, I'm afraid.

I've read reviews of the Eagle Cuda 168, and it's hard to find a bad review of this unit, even though it's one of the cheapest out there! However, those buying this entry-level system are buying it with this in mind and are not disappointed.

Some guys like to scout big water fishing areas first and then go back to the best spots--for these folks, they definitely need a GPS enabled fishfinder with waypoint features.

For kayakers like me, simple depth, temperature, and bottom structure information is sufficient. The Humminbird 220 more than meets this requirement.

5. TCAT

TCAT New Member

State:
    mo
    i too plan on getting a new finder this spring . i currently have one of those 150$ eagle models from wally world . would like to get something with bettr resiloution . no problems with the lesser model just want something a little bit better. any suggestions?

6. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    check out boatworld.com,they have some super sales on all brands and have free shipping on most units

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've had good luck with Humminbirds. I had a matrix 25 (less than $300) for a couple of years and you can get the GPS antenna to hook up to it for less than $100. The GPS on the unit won't take maps, but it will save off way points, tracks, etc. Worked GREAT for me at night on the river. I didn't need a map, just my track and my waypoints/fishing spots. I had no complaints about the matrix unit, but I had a chance to get one of the 797 side image units for a great deal and upgraded. Love it as well. What I like about the Humminbirds is the way you can upgrade them. You can get one of their matrix units now, and then when you get some extra cash, you just buy the GPS antenna and plug it in. Good Luck!

Branden

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've heard really good things about the humminbirds. I have been looking around alot and have decided to go with a humminbird, thought the Lowrances also are nice. But the humminbird is for me!

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    if u never had 1 before wow are u gonna be confused on what to get. before u buy i would get with a guide or somebody u can really really trust that knows alot about them and how to read them. best to go out on the water for a few hours learning from them and taking notes. then u will have a better idea what your needs are and what to look for. u could spend 2000$$$ or 79$$$ on one but if u dont know how to read it and make it do what u want it to do its only gonna frustrate you. i wish the companies had more seminares dvd videos classes ect on theese things. we are all still learning as we go.