Fishermen under attack. Watch your politicians!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by mtrimble, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Well it turns out that us fisherman are now an underclass ripe for getting screwed by the politicians. I went to the Oklahoma City city council meeting on the fisherman's road closure today. What a sham! The vast majority of the people in attendance were fisherman. Matter of fact I didnt hear one pro-golf voice speak up at all. Anyway, it didnt matter the chairman had already made his mind up. As he said, "Most my friends golf." He said the road was never used and the gravel was the size of softballs. He was completely wrong. There are no softball sized rocks on the road. I fish that road at night mostly and I always see a few fisherman out there. So I asked, "Have you ever been there at night?" He responded; "No." I cannot beleive this garbage. Its no longer PETA that is a threat to fishing its our local politicians. A sad day. Im pissed.

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    That really sucks that the people who put on this meeting already had their minds made up on the outcome. My only other suggestion to you is write a letter to the chairman stating the true facts and why this road doesn't need to be closed. I know it sounds like a long shot but sometimes when people have the time to sit down and read a well thought out and valid letter they may change thier minds. Worth a shot

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Also, you might consider a letter to the Oklahoma Fish and Wild life commission. If they know that the area is used by fishermen, and it is government owned land, a lot of times they can sway the vote one way or another.

4. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    My experience with things like this is that you just have to squeak loud enough to the right person. Maybe an email campaign from Okc BOC members to the right person(s) would help. I wonder how many lake permits the golfers buy? They mayor is usually pro-outdoorsmen. Maybe we should take it up with him. As a matter of fact, here is all of their emails:
    mayor@okc.gov
    ward1@okc.gov
    ward2@okc.gov
    ward3@okc.gov
    ward4@okc.gov
    ward5@okc.gov
    ward6@okc.gov
    ward7@okc.gov
    ward8@okc.gov

If they don't hear objections, then they think it is ok. Email them and tell them in no uncertain terms how important this road is.

5. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I gotta tell you guy; the meeting was full of fisherman and it didnt matter. I went. I spoke. Now im just feeling apathetic and pissed about the whole ordeal. I feel like giving up on politics but Ive felt this way before. It'll wear off.

6. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    U need to find out when they are going out there to close the road and pull the old hippy trick and have all the fisherman out ther with the tackle and all fishing in plain site

7. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Brad I was thinking along those lines. Maybe ill feel the golf ball holes up with sun-fermented shad juice. lol

8. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    that or just tap into the sprinklers and let it spray all over the course then the golfers will even leave then u will have it alll to yourselves

9. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

I really think the email campaign would work. If every Oklahoma member of the BOC would email the mayor and council members they would be overwhelmed. I think we should all give it a try.

Paul

10. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Ive already done it. That is a good idea. Who else has e-mailed them?

11. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Ill give rep points for all e-mailers. Just post here. Free rep points!

12. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    These people seem a lot like PETA. But instead they are city folk. They have never been fishing, hunting, and probley havn't even mowed their lawn. They are spoiled and think they are on the top of the world, and think that the can do anything they want too.

13. soonercat

soonercat New Member

State:
    oOklahoma
    Dear Mayor

I have never had the need to write to my local officials but today the need has come forth.I am a fisherman that often fishes along fisherman's road at lake Hefner. I use this stretch of road because it allows me to bring both my mother and grandma to fish with me. I have had 12 knee surgeries,my mother has two brand spanking new knees and she really enjoys being able to get close to the shore. The fishing is often better along the dam but being unable to crawl out on the rocks limits our enjoyment of that part of the lake. We live 4 miles from the lake and consider it as our back yard. My mother me and my grand mother all buy lake permits and i licence my boat and canoe for use in lake Hefner. When i told my mother who refuses to go out in the boat that the road was closed she said she would no longer buy her permit. This small amount of money may not make a differance to the city but it makes one to her. I am contacting you in the hopes that you can intercede on the fisherman's behalf. We buy there permits and spend money in the city supporting our hobby. The fact that the meeting was a sham w/the decision being made previous to the room full of fishermen speaking against the closure is a separate issue. Thanks for taking the time to listen to my concerns with the closure of access to lake Hefner. Shane Wallace.

14. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Matt,

I'll be more than happy to send a email for you but if you can give any more details about the road, access, main objections by the city council. The more details about this area and why it doesn't need to be closed off will help. If I been there before I would know a little more but I need your eyes and knowledge to help better write a letter. Also Skeetkermagnet was nice enough to provide e-mails but I wondered if there was a particular ward that this e-mail needs to be sent and any others addresses.

15. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Get all your fishing buddies together, sign a petition, and get the chairman out of office with a recall.

16. soonercat

soonercat New Member

State:
    oOklahoma
    This is the area of lost access
    Lake Hefner lost access.jpg

17. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    That really is a lot. I hope you guys get it back. My prayers are with you.

18. soonercat

soonercat New Member

State:
    oOklahoma
    my appologies, the pic wasn't the one I meant to put up,I believe the actual closing will be some what different

19. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i did hope it helps. and right now is when that aria produces . if u dont have a boat u are s.o.l.:crying: :mad: :sad: :confused:

20. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The road runs behind the 2nd golf course. It is well lined with trees so you can get decent shade. It borders the main body of the lake. At the end of the road is a nice area that is well wooded and nice to hike in.

The objections to the road were made up and ridiculous.
    Here are a few:
    1) Safety. Someone may get hit with a golfball. (an actual golfball attack was never cited)

2)Unsightly. Golfers dont like looking at gravel. (beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think gravel is pretty)

3)Provides an oppurtunity for someone to vandalize the sacred golf course. (no actual incident was ever given)

4)Not Used. (everyone in attendance proved that point wrong)

THE REAL REASON: Some rich guy wants it closed. Im not kidding. I was told the guys name but I forgot. The golf course wants to expand up to the shore of the lake. All those fertilizers ought to be good for the fishing, right?!