Fisherman's Almanac

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Flatheadhunter33, Jan 31, 2008.

Fisherman's Almanac?

1. Yes, it works for me!

2. Nope, does not help at all!

3. Never paid any attention to it...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was in a book store yesterday and noticed this almanac on the shelf. Got to looking at the dates that it lists as good times to go out fishing and realized that most of the dates it lists as good for fishing were not good at all for the few times I have gotten to go out. Does this book work in anyone's favor?

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Never went by it myself.:crazy:

3. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    The best time to go is any time you can. The more T.O.W. the better. I've never caught one laying on the couch or in bed. Dreamed about a few, but never caught one. Catfish that is.

4. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Some people swear by them, and some swear at them. My personal feeling is that the best time to go is any time you can. The guides I know scoff at them, they say cats feed every day. A very, very successful guide here in OK guarantees at least 50 lbs per trip or the trip is only $75 for expenses. He says the almanacs are bull. It is a rare day when he doesn't catch that 50 lbs.

Go to his website www.catfishing.tv and get an education. I've known him for years, and have never known anyone that knows as much about cats as he does. He knows cats and their habits better than the cats themselves do.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I dunno about them either. I say they don't work. I think if it does work on anything it is on the bait fish level more, and that causes the predators to more likely find easier targets to feed.

I wish I could find the info I had on the subject but it was saying a certain fish...maybe bluegill ?, they breed on full moon nights. Might not be the gills but you get my point I'm sure. I also read something about how the moon affects plankton. Certain moons make it easier on the shad/herring to find/feed on the plankton. I wish I had the facts straight, sorry, but maybe you guys can find some info, this is just a interesting thought.

I don't know much on the fishing almanacs but they all have secret formulas they use, and for the most part it goes by moons, planet alignments etc.

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Dameon,

I have had good days - when it said I was going to have a bad one :0a23:
    &
    I have had bad days - when it said I was going to have a good one :surrender:

I think "if it's going to happen" (a good time out on the water), "it's going to happen". So (to me) the Moon has no meaning but some people swear by it, "and I respect that".
    :wink:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    heres my thing. if the moon is out, then that means i dont have to shine any lights around to bait my hooks or check my gear. :big_smile:if the moon isnt out, it means i am stumbling around and poking myself trying to bait my hooks.
    :angry:so i prefer to go when the moon is in the fuller stages. lol:wink:

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have never paid any attention to the farmers almanac. I do however pay close attention to the solunar tables ...which gives the times of day and night that fish and game are most likely to be active. I have had really good results with the solunar tables...not to be confused with farmers almanac. The Solunar tables do not guarantee that you will catch fish or game. They simply give you the times of day when fish and game are "most likely" to be active. You should try it sometime!:cool2:

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'll go by it sometimes but usually I get out when i'm healthy enough whether its supposed to be good fishing or not. I think to an extent it works.

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've never paid any attention to it. I fish any time i possibly can.

11. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    Never really paid any attention to the almanac. I just go out every chance I get.

12. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I check it online, and there have been times I've done poorly when it said not to fish, but it is definitely not rock solid!

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lilly gets these calendars from a local drug store that has good exelent poor....fishing and that thing aint never right but it is entertaining.My best fishing is always when it says it will be the worst..go figure huh but then agai I am usualy giong against the grain to

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    never paid any attention to it !

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Kenny, so...I guess that in a sense it does work for you to some extent?!:smile2:

16. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i only really believe in water temperture. catfish like warm tempertures around 70 to 80 degrees.

17. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Never seen one but i'm going to look for one.

18. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't care what the almanac says cause if I can go I'm............ I pay attention to the moon phases and weather systems. As far as the moon phases go, I have my best luck on new moons. Absolutely no light at all, and the only time I turn one on is when I have to turn my anchor lights on because another boat is coming. Which is not often where I fish. As far as cutting bait or rigging rods night vision is enuff for me to get by.