Fisherman Injured In Boating Hit-And-Run

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by Mutt, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A fisherman was seriously injured early Monday along the Sacramento River when after another boat hit his boat and then fled the scene, police said.

The victim was taken to University of California Davis Medical Center for treatment of head injuries, officials reported.

Police are meanwhile searching along the river for a green and white waterski-type boat that left the area.
    The incident occured just before 3 a.m. when a boat sitting near the I Street Bridge was T-boned by another boat traveling along the river, police said.

Four men were fishing in the boat when it was hit. The accident ripped off the boat's windshield and damaged the hull. Three men were standing near the back of the boat when it was hit, while the injured man was near the bow.

Witnesses told police that the boat that left the scene was traveling on the river with another boat, but police said it was unclear if the two boats were racing.

The fishing boat sitting by the I Street Bridge had safety lights on at the time of the accident, police said.

Police said if caught, the driver of the boat that fled the scene could face a felony charge of hit-and-run.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    And that turkey prolly also has a driver's license.:angry:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is important to stay cool, but be sure to not get frostbite.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like A felony charge is coming. I hope they fry the guy that ran

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    man I hope they catch that guy

5. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I figure the reasons that this guy ran are 1. he was drunk 2. he was racing 3. he is a coward not to face up to the fact he screwedup.

6. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i really hope they catch him and give him the maximum punishment for what he did. i hate people like that. i feel sorry for the guy that got hurt that is.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    That is totally unacceptable! I agree that the driver of the other boat was probably under the influence; but regardless, he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, should be forced to pay reparation AND forfeit his boat.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It sounds to me that the jet skier was either high or intoxicated,there is no way that was an acident.I hope he or she is caught and prosecuted.Pitiful get out on the water to relax and enjoy youself and wind up in the hospital with head injuries! Goodness Sakes!! There is no excuse for that. I hope and pray the poor fisherman recovers without permanent damage. pk powell:crazy:

9. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    It wasnt a jetski it was a ski boat that ran over the fishermens boat.

10. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    You get shot for things like that. What goes around comes around.

11. FROG

FROG New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    The same thimg happened in GA. about a month ago but the man was killed on the spot. He was fishing on LAKE SINCLAIR with his wife and daughter. They finally caught the boat that done it.

12. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Update to this

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Police arrested a man Wednesday they suspect fled the scene of a boating hit-and-run accident on the Sacramento River early Monday morning.

Sacramento resident Theodore Carthen Jr., 38, was booked into the county jail and faces a charge of felony hit-and-run.

Investigators said they believe Carthen was driving a boat that hit a fishing boat near the I Street Bridge.

Police said Carthen then fled the scene in his boat.

The crash left fishing boat passenger Steve Lopez, 31, in critical condition at University of California Davis Medical Center.

Police said forensic evidence and assistance from the community led them to arrest Carthen.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good I hope they caught the right man and then fry his @#$%^&*.

14. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Glad to see they caught him! There has been times that I thought I was going to be run over.
    Bill

15. Outlw36

Outlw36 New Member

State:
    Prineville, Oregon
    I'd be willing to chip in on the electric bill to fry him,
    Jim

16. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    This happens more often than people realize. On Boone lake at home about two months ago a pontoon boat was hit, one killed, one injured, the other boat fled, then just a couple of weeks ago on Cherokee Lake, another boating collision, One killed, one in critical condition, the other boat fled. When I am on the water at night, I have all lights available lit, and have a hand held spot light to "hit" other boaters with if needed. Can't prove anything, but odds are alcohol was involved in all three of these accidents, why else would you run. I am a firm beliver that alcohol and water or boating do not mix. To each his own, just my opinion. Lost a very close friend to just that mixture.

17. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Just read in the Peoria Journal Star that I get over the internet that a off duty police officer, intoxicated no less, ran into a moored barge. The barge was tied to the bank and had lights marking it.

Killed one passenger on his boat. Suspended from the police force pending further investigation. Faces involuntary manslaughter charges.

18. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please remember.Once you "HIT other boaters" with that spotlight,they are definitely blind and have lost control of their boat during and for a while afterwords.You can cause your self or others to get run over by some one you blinded.This is a very common and dangerous practice by some.I have always traveled SLOW at night,fog,rain,etc.By slow,I mean at a speed that is no danger if I do collide as it will be a bump.Still,some have the need to blind everything on the water with their multi million candlepower lights.Often while running at high speed.Then EVERYONE is blind for a while even if they decide to turn it off.The mighty "Q beam" has killed a few and injured more.MANY TIMES I have had to come to a complete halt and drift helplessly at the mercy of the wind and current as I have TOTALLY lost all control of my boat due to blindness.Many adults allow their children to play this deadly game with every boat that they can put the spotlight on.Most NEVER think about the lives that they are endangering.I have spent my life on and around the water.I have spent thousands of hours at night shrimping,fishing and traveling at night on a boat.Other boaters spotlights are one of the most dangerous things that I ever encounter.One of the major purposes of a spot light when used by law enforcement or the military is to BLIND.I have often found that Tow Boats,Game Wardens and even the Coast Guard are some of the Worst offenders.Caution.Please you don;t need that drunk or fool coming toward you blind along with all the rest.Yea! I have done it,but it was not very smart of me.I learned when some one almost cost me the lives of my family with their "Spot Light"peewee-williams.

19. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    the guy that ran this boat over has been caught as i posted the other day for a update to this again this guy was under the influence of alcohol and drugs was racing so he will be sitting in jail for a long time.

20. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Had the same thing happen here in OK. the other day,The guy in the boat that was hit was killed.They finally found out who it was and last I heard did not even have this guy in jail.