Fisherman found at the MJT Dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by JKrupp, Sep 17, 2008.

1. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Did anyone hear about the fisherman who was found floating by the Mary Jane Thurston in Grand Rapids? I had heard about it on the radio and this is the article in the Toledo Blade today about it.

Article published Wednesday, September 17, 2008
    Man found in Maumee River identified

GRAND RAPIDS, Ohio — A Michigan man whose body was found Tuesday evening face down in the Maumee River near the Mary Jane Thurston Park dam had gone there to fish earlier in the afternoon, reports show.

Eric Dennis Smith, 23, of Jasper, Mich. was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after he was pulled from the river. Wood County Sheriff’s deputies were called to Mary Jane Thurston Park about 6:50 p.m. where two men who had been fishing in the river reported they had found an unresponsive person in the water. The men said they’d been fishing for about two hours and though they had seen a fishing tackle box, a fishing pole, a five-gallon bucket, and some bait by the shore when they arrived, they had not seen anyone nearby or fishing in the area.

According to sheriff’s reports, Mr. Smith had been staying with his grandfather, Darrell Ludeman, in Waterville for about a week. Mr. Ludeman told investigators his grandson had left to go fishing about 1 p.m. Tuesday and was expected home around 6:30 or 7 p.m.

Sheriff’s deputies said the case remained under investigation. The Lucas County Coroner’s Office was to perform an autopsy Wednesday.

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Always hate to hear about these, Only take one wrong step some times. Thoughts for all involved.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I hate to hear that. Prayers for all involved.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Our prayers go out to the friends/family of this young man, God Bless

5. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Prayers go out to the family.
    Thats a tuff one there

6. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    A very tragic reminder of just how dangerous fishing can be.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this is another sad, sad day! not just for fishermen, but for everyone ! rollo

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    haye to see that happen

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families

10. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Our thoughts and prayers go out to the freinds and family of this young man.
    The water was up almost 3 feet when this happened. There can be no better reminder that high water is dangerous and can kill. This is the second incident there this year in high water at the MJT dam, the first one was a woman who lost her footing in high water while WADING WITH HER KIDS. Luckily a 6'6'" man went in after her and was able to find her body with his foot and water to his chin and she was revived and survived. I have fished there for over 20 years and see people do things that are not so smart. Wading in high water is the biggest thing I see people try to do. One of the other dumb things I see is people letting their kids jump off the railing and into the water just above the dam. There is a 2 foot ledge and all sizes of logs where they do this.
    Accidents happen but we can do things to help prevent them and most of the time common sense does it.
    http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080918/NEWS03/809189917/-1/NEWS

11. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I hate to hear this type of news. I guess he died doing what he loved. Thoughts and prayers to those involved.