Fisherman drowns on Lake Hartwell.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by droptine77, Nov 22, 2007.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Just seen where a man drowned this Thanksgiving mourning on Hartwell when his boat took on water and sank. One person made to shore and called for help but, there were not any more details available. You know the family needs prayer right now.

2. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Our prayers are with them.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My prayers go out to the family,

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Terrible news on a day for family. Prayers go out for the family. Got to be real difficult at this time of year.

5. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    ANDERSON COUNTY, S.C. -- A man and his brother-in-law had been fishing all night when their boat suddenly began to take on water. One of them made it to shore. The other didn't.

Tony Bolding, of Easley, and his brother-in-law, Philip Skiles, of Pelzer, had been fishing on lake Hartwell since about 10 p.m. Wednesday. They had tied their small motorboat to a bridge by Centerville Road, when at about 5 a.m., it started to sink.

Bolding and Skiles jumped in and started to swim.

Neighbors on the lake said that they heard calls for help. At first, they weren't sure about what they were hearing.

Andy Calhoun said, "I heard someone saying, 'Help,' but I thought it was a dream."

Betty Calhoun said, "I yelled to him and I said, 'Are you OK ? Do you need help?' and he said 'Help,' and it sounded like, 'I'm drowning.' "

Andy Calhoun said, "She immediately called 911. I got in the car and picked up a life preserver and a light and went over and found him (Skiles) by the water looking for his friend."

Skiles was transported to AnMed, while dive teams from Anderson, Greenville and Oconee counties searched for Bolding.

Just before 9 a.m., a diver found Bolding's body more than 90 feet from shore.

Bolding was 45 years old.

Rescue workers said though they are thoroughly trained to handle missions like this, but emergency services spokesperson Anita Donley said that dealing with death is always hard.

"Every incident is sad. You never want to have to encounter this," Donley said.

The Department of Natural Resources is still trying to figure out what caused the boat to sink.

Anderson County investigators are trying to figure out what caused a boat to sink at Lake Hartwell.

Andy Calhoun said, "I asked him (Skiles), 'What in the world happened? ' He said all of the sudden water came in faster than the bilge pump could pump out."

Calhoun said, "He had life-vests in the boat, but they didn't have them on."

Betty Calhoun said, "You know, it's sad on any day and Thanksgiving and any other holiday makes it sadder for some reason. And our hearts just go out to his family and friends and loved ones that they have to have this news on Thanksgiving Day."

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thats terrible news. :sad2:

I hope that we find out what happened and can learn from their mistakes. Thats is about the only thing positive you can take away from a tragedy like this.

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    That is terrible news. Gotta be safe out there.