Fished Waverly for the first time last week

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by newcat, May 26, 2008.

1. newcat

newcat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I fished Waverly for the first time last week. I caught some channels and a few smallmouth(catching bate was very difficult - the channels were easier to catch). The channels I caught all seemed a little on the light side. I mean for there length they seemed under-fed. Has anybody else noticed this? Also, I did not catch any flatheads, are their any in this stretch?

Thanks in advance.

2. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bank fished there a couple weeks ago and caught two channels and they were both pretty little and seemed kinda scrawny to me. I don't know about the flatheads thats the only time I have fished there but I plan on going back soon. What did you catch the channels on?

3. sam

sam New Member

State:
    Martinsville IN
    Yes, there are flatheads in that part of the river.

4. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    The channels are probably scrawny due to the spawn..if they have already spawned. I have caught some nice channels and big flatheads right off that ramp. Another problem there is that the owner of the paylake near the ramp there buys fish from people fishing the river, which is illegal. I think there are a lot of fish being taken from that stretch.

5. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    ive heard that too wish he would get busted.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yep, they set limblines tied to overhung trees all up and down that stretch of the river.... AND I mean every where. It's mostly the locals that live on the banks doin' it and I've NEVER seen tags on any of 'em that I can actually get focused on... they camo them very well. You can hear "hung" cats slappin' the water all night long... dudes doin' this are serious rednecks, better left to the law to deal with but they never do... I got an expensive ticket for forgetting my lifejacket though... and got all my gills checked and a bunch of crap for having my pistol with me (even though I have a permit):angry:

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    OH... gotta go up or down river a click and there are some nice holes away from the poachers... and it's not my choice at all for channels... never seen any big ones in that area?

8. shadgut

shadgut New Member

State:
    camby, indiana
    i have never seen a limb line there. i run up and down that river at least 2 times a week.. unless u have a jet u can't go that far up or down that stretch of river. at that there isn't that many houses around there, mostly farm land.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    all I've seen are within a quarter mile down river bro... and a fish has to be hung and splashin' to see it... they are WELL hidden.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Curious... are you mainly there at day or night? I havent been out this year, but I 've rarely see anyone out there past dark... this is when you'll hear the contant waterslapping coming from the over-hung trees enough to make you wonder what the..... and search for the source with your spot.

Who ever does it is like a ghost, I've NEVER seen anybody
    suspicious- ever.
    I just assume it's locals and shouldnt have stated that like it's a matter of fact, but I don't know how it could be anything else, because they're always way off the beaten bank path there. and usually east on the north bank (if I got my bearing right) though I've seen 'em in the opposite direction on the same side of the bank near past the abandoned pit.

11. newcat

newcat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Like I said maybe I was using the wrong bait. I caught some bluegills and used them(the bluegills were small also). On a side note when I was at the boat ramp an odd thing happened. Two men who were obviously not fishing (did not have any gear with them) came out of the woods together. They acted startled when they noticed that they were not alone. It made me very weary about going back to that boat ramp. Has anybody else seem some unusual activity at this site?

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Gills are good for both channels and flats but mostly flats I even caught a huge smallie with a fairly big gill...female channels don't usually take gills especially bigger gills.... take ya some liver or cutbait, worms -stuff like that for channels I'd say, but you gotta deal with turtles n stuff.... get a boat if you can.
    If not find the best lookin' spots you possibly can and fish.... those dudes may have been mushroom huntin' I don't know.... maybe you seen those "crack-head-paylake guys talked about earlier lol- ya never know!
    That's why I ALWAYS pack my pistol....ALWAYS. They're not gonna find me chopped-up in some nuts fridge... at least not without finding the nut with a bullet-hole in his @SS!

13. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    If i run into a crackhead I'm going to steal his crack,Knock him out,Take his crack and put it on a hook. Never know maybe you might catch a giant Flathead!!

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LMAOOOO! I'm not sure, but I think you gotta have a special permit to fish with crack? lol:smile2:

15. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Haha...that is a good one!!!

I am going to encourage everyone to contact the the DNR about Hubbards PayLake right there buying fish. They got busted for it last summer and I guess they didnt learn their lesson. They are giving people big coolers with areators in them to bring back fish and buying them for $1 a pound. We all know that this is extremely wrong and ILLEGAL!!

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    not much to do with this, but during bigger floods that lake gets stocked big time.... for free.
    I've seen fish... BIG fish... swim across the road and under the fence, into those ponds.
    I think because of THAT alone it should be disqualified for a paylake anyway.
    Cats, bass, carp.... every species in the river get stuffed into those ponds during some floods.
    just like that abandoned gravel pit there on the other side of the road.

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If I was goin' to start a paylake? heck I'd buy me some cheap flood area land by the river and dig a lake there and just wait for floods.... pffft:cool2:

18. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Glad to hear you was able to get out and go fishing some congrats on your catches, glad to hear you caught some, keep up the good work and keep us posted on how the rest of your fishing trips go, good luck to ya.

19. catfish pro guide

catfish pro guide New Member

State:
    indiana
    just wanted to say hello to eveyone, and I will this site be the best catfishing forum on the net

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Bill, Bill here... welcome to BOC hoosier buddy!! Nice flat in your avatar!