Fished the Salamonie river Saturday night!!!!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by BIGCATFISH64, Apr 27, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hey brothers! Catfishcatcher and I took a trip to the Salamonie river yesterday, we grabbed 3 dozen chubs from the local bait shop and headed out, got there about 6:30 pm and set in. We traveled up river a few and settled into a favorite spot and fished for a few, the bite was slow and we did manage to catch 1, so we decided to move further on out towards the res. it ended up to be even worse we stayed in that spot for a few until it started to get dark, and then we decided to move back to the spot we started in, usually if you can't catch anything in this spot you won't by rule catch any at any spot on the river there. We anchored up and threw out, we had a few nippers, got dark lit our lanterns and sat a while, catfishcatcher got bored after awhile of the slow bite and decided to try something different, so he reeled in one of his poles and dropped it straight down off the side of the boat it was about 5-10 mins. and something was playing around with his bait, he brought this to my attention and as soon as he did a fish had just doubled his pole over, he set the hook and reeled it in it was a cat about 6-7lbs we looked at each other an laughed, thinking it was a fluke I resumed fishing, he rebaited his hook and did the same thing 10-15 mins. later anotherone about the same size came a knocking, so then we both started fishing this way and caught a few smaller ones then allen layed into a real nice one about ten pounds or so we ended up with 10 fish on the boat, I just wonder if it was the light of the lanterns that attracted the to the boat or what anyways it was great fun.:wink:

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nice job on the tactics change there fellas! sounds like a night to remember.:wink:

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sounds like a pretty successful night :roll_eyes:. Glad you guys got into some. Could have been the lantern attracting bait fish to the boat, with the predators following...I know a lot of crappie fishermen use the lights around boat houses at night to load up on the ole' paper mouths.

4. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Yeah we did notice some small minows around the boat. This was the same techinuqe that I have used in ice fishing. I let the bait hit the bottom and reeled it up so the bait was just off the bottom just like ice fishing. I have caught other species of fish with this method but not cats untill now. I think this would be a effective technique to fish a snaggy area or whole with cover. I am planning on trying this down on the ohio river this year. I have a spot in mind that is very rocky and a sharp drop off into a hole which is almost impossible fish in a noraml manner. If any of you boc brothers have tried this method or are going to try it let me know how it work out. Thanks:wink:

5. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice work guys. Way to be flexible and adapt! I love straight down fishing and I'll have one rod like that if I'm anchored deep enough everytime, works good.

6. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I have used this same method drift fishing in the early spring up in the shallow lake flats when the shad are dying and the wind is blowing and later in the summer over over deeper holes in some lakes in SE Ohio. It works!!!!

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for letting us know how the night went. It's always nice to hear of all you guys having success.