Fished the Platte River a bit

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by holdemplyer, Jul 15, 2007.

1. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Wanted to follow up on some advice given to me by another brother, but timing and no prepared cut bait cut that short, so i took some Sonny's blood formula and my trusty ugly stick to two rivers, got in and walked up the platte to about the hwy 92 bridge, turned around and started bouncing my dip bait down the river, hooked into about a dozen cats, but the biggest was only about 1.5 lbs. I did find some pretty decent holes though. One of them the hard way, wow, that dropped off quick! had fun anway though.

happy fishing all,
    Alex

2. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    get some cut and live gills and you'll find the big ones.

3. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Or you could try bullhead. They seem to stay alive longer in a rivers current. I have had some luck with the gills also though. Still nothing much over 10 lbs. That was in Buffalo county, in case anyone was currious.

4. jbuck984

jbuck984 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I wouldn't use them uglysticks with the live bait though, I found that out the hard way a few to many times. I'm a slow learner:big_smile:

5. waleygator

waleygator New Member

State:
    Weeping Water, NE
    Heard from a guy last night he had been fishing the Platte around the Louisville area the past couple of days just after daybreak. Said he'd tried about every kind of "real" bait he could, but only had luck on dip bait. Said he mixed a jar of Bowkers and a jar of Sonny's blood dip bait and used that. He couldn't get them to bite on regular dip worms, so put on a 10" rubber worm and dipped that, said they really hit on it. Nothing huge, all in the 2 pound range...

6. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    i went and fished the papio friday afternoon to catch some bullheads for cut bait, and i'll be danged if all i could catch was these little 8" channel cats!

7. waleygator

waleygator New Member

State:
    Weeping Water, NE
    How are you cutting your bullheads? I've never tried them for cut bait, only live...

8. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    lol, waly, i've never used for cutbait either, was gunna experiment, i'll try one more time, other than that, it's off to Z to get some gills

9. waleygator

waleygator New Member

State:
    Weeping Water, NE
    I reckon a guy could cut off the head and use the entire body, that way you'd be "legal" most places. Do you ever freeze any of your cut bait? I never have, but need to do so with some carp before we go again, can't get the time immediately before we go to pursue the rascals!

10. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    i have frozen cut bait before, but don't seem to get the action. what i like to do is this, the day before i'm going for cats, i'll head down to zorinsky or W and catch some gills, bring them home and stick them in my Tote/bait keeper, then i take them live to where ever (if legal) and cut em up right there

11. waleygator

waleygator New Member

State:
    Weeping Water, NE
    That's the hard part, taking them live. I'd hate to show up with some live gills to a no-live-bait lake and Levi wonder where I got them and what I was doing with them, ha! Not sure "when" the CO would consider you "fishing" with them. I agree, I'd love to have some live bullhead, etc. with me on the Missouri that I'd gotten somewhere else, then cut them up for bait just prior to using them, but wouldn't want to take the chance either.

Maybe I'll give Levi a call and see what his take is on this...

12. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    let me know the results if you ask

13. Nate4097

Nate4097 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree w/ holdm, for sum reason cutting them up right before you use them works much better. I also have had good luck cutting large chubs into 2-3 pieces.