Fished the marsh today

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by StuBone278, Mar 6, 2008.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    First time fishing the saltwater marsh from my boat, I went with my dad this morning launching out of intracoastal. We borrowed a 25hp before hand and it was amazingly powerful!! It'll be so hard to go back to that 5hp Briggs.:eek:oooh: Anyways, we easily caught bait, all finger-mullet, and headed down 4-mile Bayou and fished some marsh about halfway down to the west. There was crazy current running through two levees, and within 5 minutes something almost pulled my pole out the rod-holder and there's splashing and noise everywheres! 9.4lb. blue catfish!! Well, it was all we caught but still I had a great time! Later something kept messing with my line, not sure if it was a gator-gar, but I missed it a few times. Here's the catfish!:big_smile:

Sadly I cleaned the fish only to find tons of parasites in the back half of the meat. Didn't take any chances and threw it out.:confused2:

Attached Files:

2. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Stu,
    Thant's a great looking fish. Too bad it had the parasites. I remember a couple of years ago that Scout had problems with them in the marsh. Oh well, it's still lots of fun to catch'em:big_smile:

3. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Nice fish-!!! Are you referring to tapeworms? I seen heavy infestations in Bback Drum/Reds and large specks. Didn't know they could get into cats. That's ashame.

TripleD likes this.
  4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Yeah the parasites look like little egg sacks that are embedded in the meat and attached with little tendons coming off of each side. It was quite nasty and I was some disappointed! I also noticed some colorful leeches hanging on it.

5. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Stu, those marsh cats sure do put up a good fight huh lol.:big_smile: I have been catfishing the marsh for over 40 years and up until a few years ago have never seen a parasite in a single catfish. Then a few years ago almost all the cats had them. I got in touch with a marine biologist and he told me it not uncommom and it was caused by some kind of snail that pelicans eat, then they spread it around through their droppings which get into the catfish:eek:oooh:. I forgot the name of the parasite. He told me it runs in cycles and would take a few years to go away. He told me the parasites were harmless and the fish could be eaten. Not me lol:crazy:. I got to were I was all catch and release for a while. Now the ploblem is not as bad, especially in the smaller cats. I now usually do not keep any cats over 10 pounds unless some of my friends ask for me to bring them a big cat. I let them clean them lol. With the ones that I do keep I may find 1 out of 10 that may have some parasites in them and those get fed to my dog. I have many friends that eat them no matter what. They tell me you cannot see them after the fish is cooked (yuk!). As for as I am concerned they can have them. I do hope the problem goes away soon.:big_smile:

6. Igottheblues!

Igottheblues! New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisia
    Good picture Stu, Sorry, You had to trash it, but I would have done the same, It's better to be safe !

7. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    WAY TO GO STU.CONGRATS SORRY YOU DIDN'T GET TO EAT HIM.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    nice looking fish thanks for the pictures