Fished the James River March 5

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Put a different propeller on my outboard and tryed it out today. I had to take some rods along. Put in at 10:30 at Deep Bottom. Wind was blowing 15 to 25 out of the south. Bait was easy. Fished five or six new spots and found a 32 and a 36 at home along with some dinks. I like my new sonar. Sorry no pictures today. My Digital pooped out last week. I bought it in August 2007 and it had a one year guarantee. I swear it might be the first receipt I have ever saved in my life. I'm glad I did.

2. cecilmenshouse

cecilmenshouse New Member

State:
    ky
    Kenneth what type of sonar do you have ,i amlooking at what would work the best for cat fishing

cecil

3. Team StrayKatz

Team StrayKatz New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I launched out of DG at around 11:00 am.I headed right to Presque for some bait and fished that area.I caught bait easily and got a few dinks and a couple around 20-30 pounds.I didnt like the wind .I fished a few holes on the way back to the Gap.Caught a few more but nothing to brag about.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    We Ohio boys fished out of DG with Captain Hugh and Randy at 5:30 am.

We got bait and hit some spots. We quit at 8 pm.

We caught an 8, a 14, 2 15's, a 31, 2 40's, a 50, a 55, and I ended the evening at 8 pm with my new pb (2 days after my last pb of 62) a giant 72lb male (47 inches, 38 inch girth)

I love your river guys! :big_smile:

5. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Great report guys, Those big fish still have to eat, wind or no wind... Keep up the reports and make me wish I was fishing....:cool2:

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Holly Molly!!!!!! :eek:oooh: That is an incredible day(s) of fishing!! :crazy: Unbelievable!!! :eek:oooh::crazy: I want one of those days!:confused2:

7. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    The big fish....just a 72 lber....WTG guys....looking forward to the pics when you get back home and have time to post them....Ole Capt Hugh does it again....Congratulations and glad you guys had a great trip!!!!

Jerry

8. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    WTG Kenneth...not sure what to think about you Kenneth.....just had to bring some rods along while trying out a new prop...lol....hope the prop worked out for you.....Jerry

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my first trip was a blast to the james.. didn't catch as many fish as shawn and them with the Capt. but did manage 12 fish in two days of fishing all CPRed. tues. was the best day with 3 fish 25, 40, and a whoopin 65-70 pounder that destroyed my 50 pound scale.. i thought i was ready for the big dawgs, but maybe not lol:smile2: thanks to all of you va. guys for all the pms. and help over the past months.... I will be back!!! rollo:big_smile:

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I sold a 14 foot Starcraft with a 15 yamaha 4 stroke on it that I never used.

You know the old saying about a fool and his money.:wink: Being the very stupid person that I am, I ran straight to Green Top and bought the Humminbird 997c SI Combo Sonar GPS. OUch Ouch Ouch!

I had my manual with me yesterday and played around with the Sonar trying to learn all the bells and whistles. It comes with a simulator mode so you can learn the system and as you go through the screens in simulator mode, it is saving those settings for you to use in the for real mode. Pretty slick. I like using the side view that looks like an underwater picture on half the screen and the conventional sonar with the arches and clouds of bait ect on the other half of the screen. I also like the big size of the screen, its like watching TV. You do pay through the nose though.

The Propeller change was needed. I actually lost 4 MPH but now can't over rev my motor which is important when speed demon brother Bob is at the wheel.:big_smile:

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    :worship: The HumminBird side-scan sonar!!!! Man, that is one sweet unit!

Please send all new honey-holes you find to my PM box. Thanks.:cool2:

12. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Hey Josh ...... not sure but sounds like Kenneth is going to get serious about fishing.....
    • new boat
    • new prop
    • new camera
    • new (real...real....Expensive) fish finder
    • wonder what else he's got up his sleeve
    Wonder if he would let us use it while he's gone to SA....wouldn't be good to let that Humminbird 997c SI set un-used.....don't you know...lol....that woulld be sad.......:0a24:

Jerry

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Along with new boat, sonar, rods, guns and other assorted toys, might as well say say a new paraguayan gal to boot. She likes to shoot as much as I do and can grill a steak better than me.

She is the daughter of a dear friend who is "amazingly" still my friend. Mid life crazy re-inventing myself.

Attached Files:

14. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Kenneth....what a pretty young gal...congrats not only fishing on the water....

BTW I miss-read the post to begin with and had to go back and read it again...

my eyes read.....and can streak better than me.....so I was hot on the pics...lol

Jerry

15. 60lbclub

60lbclub New Member

State:
    virginia
    sounds like the bite is on again....good report fellas....i wish i was there