Fished for a few hours last night on South Holston Reservoir.

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Big Dav, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I had plans to fish most of the week but those plans got changed for me. Long story but to keep it short. A thief decided they needed my foot control for my trolling motor and my main motor started acting up (hard to get started and keep at idle). The winds were pretty tough last night so with no trolling motor I was limited to where I could try and drift. I ended up fishing on the anchor most of the night.
    Here are a couple of pics of the sun rise this morning at the ramp.

Attached Files:

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I must have been fishing in the nursery last night. All I could manage to land were smaller fish. I lost a couple of nicer fish in snags ( I guess). Both of the lost fish were on live bluegill and near a couple of spots I know hold some decent flat heads (at least sometimes they do).:eek:oooh:
    The fish in the pictures all came on cut gills. Even the small flathead. I ended up with 12 fish on the night with these being the largest three. All were released after a boat ride back to the truck for the camera that I forgot.:embarassed::eek:oooh::big_smile: The RAM mount I installed on my hand rail made it a lot easier to get some pics when I am fishing alone.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Never ceases to amaze me how pathetic some people are. Sorry about your trolling motor and I hope that individual gets whats coming. I worry alot about equipment on my boat also, not that it is expensive, only I don't have the money to replace it at a moments notice so I take great pride in it.

Hope you still enjoyed the trip. Looks like some real nice scenery and a beautiful sunset. Thanks for sharing

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Big D, South Holston......aren't there some really big flatheads caught out of there. Talking 40lbs, 50lbs + ?

Looks like a beautiful lake. I might make the trip from Lynchburg some day if it's not too far.

Congrats on the catch, even if they were small. Next time, you gotta leave the nursery and find the sumo wrestling match.

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have caught some nice 30# plus flatheads but never had a scale that would read above 30# till a few months ago. I have seen bigger fish than I have caught but would not want to guess on fish I did not put my hands on. I am not saying South Holston holds monsters or is super productive but you can find a nice one sometimes. Even a blind squirrel can sometimes find a nut (in my case anyways).
    The spot I pulled that small flat out of have produced a couple of 30# + fish in years past but not so far this year. More blind luck that anything else.:eek:oooh:

My SI unit shows it to be a few logs at the mouth of a feeder creek into the lake. I have wonder about the structure I was catching them in but with the SI Humminbird I can see it is just a few logs (trees). I guess that is enough to have held the flatheads in the past.

6. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    ive always wanted to do some fishin there. heard its great for about anything you wanna catch

7. Sexton

Sexton New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What times of day are you fishing...night...morning....what hours exactly

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Adam,
    This time of year I usually fish from about an hour before dark until some time the next morning if possible. That is mainly because of boat traffic and the heat. Later in the fall I fish any time of day or night I can get on the water. These fish were all caught using cut blue gills and at different times through the night.

Thanks
    David

9. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    i fish there friday night and got 5 flats biggest was 13-14lbs, going again tonight, so hopefully get a few...

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sorry about the bad luck with the thief...man...if you could only catch them in the act!:angry::angry: On the other hand though...those were some nice eater size fish! Thanks for the CPR though!

11. Sexton

Sexton New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info ...it just seems like the more i go to flanagann the more skunked i get...i mean...one successful night in six months make me want to find other fishing grounds and it sounds like south holston is the most likely target.

12. clatorlakecat

clatorlakecat New Member

State:
    va
    :sad2:THAT SUCK S MAN HEY U ARE TO INSTALL A NIGHT VISION CAM HIDE IT SOME WERE,,, CATCH THE THEIF LIKE UR PULLING IN A 50 CAT!PUT SOME STICKERS TO ON UR BOAT SAYING UR BOAT HAS A ALARM AND IS SET TO GO OFF OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT MOTION SENOR LITGHT WORK WELL TO THATS WHAT I USE ON MY PONTOON ,COURSE IT'S STORED ON THE ROCK HOUSE MARNIA SO THEY WATCH EVERY THING PLUS THEY HAVE WEB CAMS THEY MONITOR FROM HOME OR THE STORE