Fished Ellis today

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by s_man, Apr 13, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I met up with fellow brother, catfishrollo today up at Ellis dam. We spent about 5 hours chasing bait in the lock and trying to catch channels in the scour hole. Could not catch any shad, I did catch a couple small carp and a couple giant redhorse suckers (which I let go). He brought some gills, crappie and bass in his baitwell. Which was awesome considering he has kept them all winter in his shed at home in his bait tank. We didn't get any runs at all. I enjoy meeting other members for the first time to get a sense of what they are about. Rollo has a good amount of knowledge about Flathead fishing. So if he tells you something its gonna be true lol. He says he can't take me to his best spots up above dresden cause he needs them for his tournament obligations LOL. Otherwise I had a good time talking strategy and baits and such. Thanks Jason, I hope to meet you again at the gathering in May. And I wanna take your boat down south and see if we can get up under some of those shallow dams like at McConnelsville. Good luck on the tourneys this year, and thanks for coming out.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    skip helped me out with some throw-netting tonight. i was glad to get to meet and do alittle b/s ing and fishing with a brother catman. i look forward to get to hang out at the gathering in may and meeting more people. the only thing i really have to say about the fishing tonight at ellis is, the fishing stunk, and so did skip's boats after he stepped in the dog crap..lol....didn't even clean them off before jumping in that nice truck he has...what a shame! :big_smile:

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    BOOTS BOOTS not boats, my feet aint that big lol.
    I had a good time tonite Jason, even if you can't cast a net lol lol.
    Practice,practice,practice. My bait was bigger than your bait.

4. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Hey guys, hows the water level at the river?

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    River level was great if boat fishing. From the bank it is still too swift. We couldn't keep baits in the scour hole at all. It was like when those guys caught that 36lber last summer. Just 2 ft lower. You doing any fishing this week?

6. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I don't know if I'll have time? I MIGHT have time monday, but we're supposed to get another cold snap on sunday.

7. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Supposed to get alot of rain today and Sunday. So the rivers are going to be back up again. The temps are going to be in the 50's next week but that is still below normal for this time of year.

8. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Well I bet it was nice to just get out a little bit, ever sence the day Skip, Jason, Jack and I went there I cant stop thinking of it !

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The water is still cool DJ but it'll start coming back up as soon as we get some warmer weather. This is the strangest year for channels and shad up there in the last 10 years. I don't know why they aint up there. I have caught shad for bait and channels all through the winter all the previous yrs. I'm at a loss as to whats going on this year.

10. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i know why they wouldnt bite....its all the jeff gordon stuff you got going on ...lol jk

11. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey S-man read that you were fishing the Ellis scour hole. Haven't fished them much myself do you typically fish head or tail of the hole? And how much weight do typically have to throw to hold in the faster moving water?

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    When the river is at normal or low flow you can get baits right up aginst the face and in the upper 1/3 of the hole easily. I also catch them in the core and the tailout. You just have to spread them around to see where they are on a givin night. I use 5 or 6 oz all the time no matter where I'm fishing the river its just easy, I don't have to search for the right size lol. Sometimes I just have to double or triple up those sizes if the water is fast. The current on bottom is half the speed of the water on the surface. You have to keep a tight line to the sinker and keep the bow out of your line or fish from a boat. Also helps with all that whitewater noise to use the biggest baits you can, makes it easier for the flats to find.

13. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks S-Man for the tips fishing scour holes. So you are typically using five to six ounces of weight what kind of weights are you using? eggs, pyramids, flats?

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Better luck next time, always great to get out and fish with a fellow BOC member.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The ones I have the most of are bank style which I hook to sinker slides. I got a few new ones from RamRod that look like a padlock that I'm testing this year. They are shorter in overall length, flatter ( like a no-roll teardrop). Look promising.