Fished Cape Fear Downtown Wilm .Sunday

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Jollymon, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Plans to fish Sat night went flat on me ,so boat was ready ,drinks, food, baits ,an all so i decided not to waste it .Invited friends an my wive to go fishing Sunday . Wife wanted to go flounder fishing ,i said think about it Sheri ,the inlet will be crazy with boats ,lets go downtown ,she finally agreed.
    When we got downtown the lot was full ,except for the handicapped spot ,which i can legally use. The lady that was parked behind it was leaving ,so this gave us a place to park truck an trailer.
    We started out at the mouth of the Brunswick River .I had 2 cat rods out not a hit on them anywhere we tried all day ,but we did catch some red drum [to little to keep] croakers an spots ,man the wind was getting it out there yesterday on the river .
    We tried downriver a couple of places got a few fish ,then we road up river thru wilm ,our friends on the boat an Sheri had never seen wilm from a boat before ,so we just idled up the river sight seeing .saw or noticed thing they had never seen before.
    We went up river to near the r&r trestle an anchored up ,where we caught some more croakers an drum an i got 1 eel about 16 in long .Peggy 1 of Sheris best friend was fishn from bow seat when she said she was hung up.I told her to try just slow steady pressure to see if it would come loose ,i noticed here line was moving up river slowly ,an i said you are not hung u got something.About that time she gets a hard pull or 2 an then she realizes its a fish,[you should have heard her screaming for Bill to help her . It was about this time we saw color,when i first saw it i thought it was a red drum ,but lo an behold it was a stripper.First one i had ever seen in person from my own boat .Something you have to understand about Peggy is she is happy to catch pin fish as long as she gets to catch a fish .
    Bill netted her fish weighed it an took pic [i am going to try to attach ] .I was not sure it she could keep it or not found out ,we could not after a few calls ,an we let it swim away .
    Fish weighed 13lb 7 oz an was 34 in long ,that was a nice fish ,an we have been hearing about it every since then .:wink:
    Even after not catching any cats ,it was as good of day as i have had fishn in a long time ,like is said on here a lot of times ,it,s not if you catch fish or not ,its enjoyable to spend time with family an friends . We caught enough fish to make it a good day ,an Peggy has a good fish story to tell :wink::smile2:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    sounds like you guys had fun dickie.....and as you said.....thats what counts.........i had a blast this weekend and fished with alot of good people....learned a few things.......and saw some things that where just amazing..........got schooled by nick!:smile2: but over all i just had a blast.....fishing with friends and good people is what its all about.....ive met a few on here that ive become pretty close too.....and you guys are some of the best.......this is truely the brotherhood!:wink:

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Sounds like a good trip to me. The big striper was a bonus too man. I haven't seen but one in the river and it wasn't half that size. Way to go making sure wether you could keep it or not too, I about did the same thing with mine but remembered ya can't keep them in the Cape Fear.

Congrats on a good day of fishing, and more importantly keeping the ladies happy:wink:

4. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    sounds like you had a good day and time congrats on the striper nice looking fish ,looks like one happy lady

5. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Congrqts on the good trip , and that nice stripper ...:wink::big_smile:

6. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    what were the red drum biting on?

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member