Fishcat

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bluejay, Aug 21, 2008.

1. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Or "Felis Viverrina" of India has water-resistant fur, webbed feet and dives head first in the water to catch fish.

2. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    You talkin about me?

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    bluejay, I gotta be honest. I had no idea what you were talking about, so I went on a mission to find out about this water cat. This is what I found.

http://www.catsurvivaltrust.org/fishing.htm

Description

A robust, powerful animal, the fishing cat has short rather coarse fur. Two layers make up the pelt, a short dense impermeable layer and a longer coat of guard hairs. It is a grizzled grey, often tinged with olive brown. The fur is marked with dark round spots which run in longitudinal rows. On the face are white stripes running from the eyes to the crown of the head, and there are six to eight dark lines running from the forehead over the crown and along the neck. Contrasting white spots mark the backs of the short, rounded black ears. The head is thick and broad and the muzzle is somewhat elongate. Vestigial anterior upper premolars are present. About the size of a basset hound, the body of the fishing cat is notably deep chested, and the relatively short tail is unusually thick and muscular near the base.
    It has often been thought that fishing cats have webbed feet. This is not so, there is a partial membrane between the toes but no more than in other wild or domestic cats. The cutaneous sheaths do not fully cover the claws, particularly in the hind feet but they do fully retract.
    The fishing cat has long been known as Felis viverrina, Wozencraft (1993) in his latest � and controversial � review of cat taxonomy, separates it, together with the Leopard Cat (bengalensis), the Flat-headed Cat (planiceps) and the rusty-spotted cat (rubiginosus) into another genus, Prionailurus.
    Two subspecies of fishing cat are described:

P. v. viverrinusIndia, south east Asia and SumatraP. v. risophoresJava and Bali

Attached Files:

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I am confused, are we being overrun by these critters or something:crazy:

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Those cat's are pretty cool to watch when they go after a meal:smile2:One of the park's i worked at had about six of them ,They alway's drew a crowd everyone wanted to see THE DIVING CAT'S!!!:roll_eyes:

6. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    There`s one cat that has it`s priorities right!