Fish Warning

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jailcop2, Aug 27, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Do ya think fish put on a stringer eminate any phernomes that might keep other fish away from the area ?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've only ever put blue gill on a stringer in the water and I've still caught a bunch of them, but some people might think otherwise.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Not so as to notice if you are casting 50 ft away.

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I have not noticed anything funny after putting fish on a stringer. Makes you wonder though about fighting a fish in and having it pass a bunch of other fish along the way, wonder what the other fish are thinking? Hey look there is poor Paul being reeled in!

I will say I have had water snakes come up and mess with the fish that have been on the stringer.

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I would have no idea on that.Interesting question thou.

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive seen this question come up alot, and everyone seems to have difference opinions. Here is what ive learned from my experiences. While crappie fishing around docks I have caught crappie, put them inside a fish basket and caught more crappie not 5 feet from my fish basket. Surely these fish are close enough to receive any signals that the fish already caught are releasing.

Now on another note, alot of predatory fish are known to be able to sence stress signals sent by fish. Some off the top of my head are sharks, barracuda, and supposedly flatheads. From personal experience ive seen 2 different times when red snapper fishing, that a hooked red snapper is cut in half by a barracuda as it is being reeled into the boat. The struggleing fish emits a distress signal which triggers the barracuda to attack.

So from what ive experienced I believe fish are fully capable of emitting and interperting singals from other fish, but either there isnt a signal to warn of danger such as being caught, or that fish chose to ignore the signal.

7. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i think its safe for cats i have a long heavy duty one usall get bites after theres fish on it course got to watch it we have lots of gators ...good luck

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've had bass, cats, gills etc. on stringers and I have never had it effect my fishing. I worry more about the noise it makes when I throw the stringer out, than what the fish might signal to others in the water.

9. Schifty

Schifty New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ive never had any problems while putting fish on a stringer.