Fish travel

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by grinnel, Sep 3, 2007.

1. grinnel

grinnel New Member

State:
    Pool 25, Mississippi MO
    I talked to a guy over the weekend who said his brother caught a flathead last year in the Cuivre River between Old Monroe and Troy, MO that was tagged near Jefferson City. By my calculations, thats close to 200 miles by river and alot of drastic changes in environment along the way. I'm not sure if the story is true or not, but I wouldn't doubt that it happened. I don't think 200 miles is all that far for a fish like that, but its the course the fish traveled and the change in environments that is amazing to me. I guess there is always the possibility that it was caught and released somewhere else, but thats probably unlikely. I'd like to know how long it it took that fish to travel that far.

Grinnel

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I understand one of the things mdc has learned from their study is that catfish do travel considerable distances. They said they also come back to where they were sometimes. I cant wait to see the results of this study.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I have read some studies that indicated the Blue Catfish are nomadic and swim great distances, even in a single year.

As far as flatheads, the studies I have read indicated that the smaller fish will move quite a bit, however, the larger flatheads 20 pounds and up are extremely territorial and will spend there existence in one very small section of river.

I have heard several stories over the years of tagged Blue Cats that have been caught several hundred miles from where they were originally tagged.

All in all, I think what the Fisheries Biologist are sure about with the two big catfishes is very limited.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I talked with Kevin Sullivan and they have done a study on it. He said there is one flathead thats went 450 miles and still hasnt returned. Said he's still up around Omaha.

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    do you have Kevin Sullivans phone number? I would like to call to help promote the slot limit law. Since we, the sport fishermen, didnt show up at the meetings to voice our support, my friend at mdc said it would help to talk to Kevin and perhaps rekindle the move toward same.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I will send you a PM Bob.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Here's his contact info:

Kevin P. Sullivan
    Missouri Department of Conservation
    Resource Scientist - Clinton Field Station
    P.O. Box 368, Clinton, MO 64735
    phone:660-885-8179 x224
    fax: 660-885-5038
    email: Kevin.Sullivan@mdc.mo.gov

But it won't do you any good to call - he's a biologist, not a policymaker. So, while he'll politely listen to your comments, there's nothing he can do directly to change the situation. And believe me, he's already on our side with respect to placing new limits on catfish.

You would do better to direct your comments and suggested regulations to the Regulations Committee in Jeff City:

Missouri Department of Conservation
    P.O. Box 180
    Jefferson City, MO 65102
    Attn: Regulations Committee

Or, even more to the point, fill out one of the survey cards they handed out at the recent catfish regulation meetings held throughout central Missouri:

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/15280.pdf

There's a space for your comments, or you could attach a separate sheet if you wanted to.

8. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    SOunds like Kevin is out of the office for a few weeks.