Fish Trap Question

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Stainless, May 20, 2006.

1. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I built me a fish trap today and loaded it up with some dog food and corn meal before I left. I've never used one before and was curious to how deep to set it in the water. I laid it on the Arkansas River bank by some weeds around 2 1/2 to 3 foot deep. What would be a good depth and area to put one of these in to catch perch?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd think about 6" to 3' should work. One thing to caution you about, make sure these "perch" are not classified as game fish. Believe most states have laws against trapping game fish. They'll let you use bass or trout for bait, but the must be caught by a legal means, ie; hook and line, noodling, artificial lures. Just check your state laws. No sense giving an Abu Garcia priced ticket to the wildlife department.

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Right on with what Aw Shucks said, I wouldn't go any deeper than 6' right now, the water shouldnt be too hot yet and the bait fish use the shallower water for protection. With that said, canned cat food works pretty good, or canned tuna fish, it needs to be drained and mixed with something to thicken it up and help it stay in the trap, I use tuna, bacon grease, crushed dog food and some fine shredded cheese for bait sometimes with good results. After you put your trap in, if the water is clear enough you may see the minnows and other bait fish congregate at the opening of the trap catching the small particles of food that are washing through the trap.

Aaron

TA2D

4. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I'll check into it guys, thx for the info and the heads up.