Fish the whole hole

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Pipe Rat, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is a way to cover the hole you are fishing without resetting your anchor.

In order to control the swing of the boat, there are several methods that can be deployed. The Ancient Boccers devised a method by which they could anchor and fish in three totally different areas without moving the anchor. The method is simple and quite useful to today's modern members, but only works where there is a current. Think of a planer board.:wink:

Allow the entire anchor line out with the end secured to the bow of the boat. placing the boat over the center of the desired fishing area. To fish to the right of the area, tie a line to the anchor line at least half the length of the boat away from the bow. Run the line in the water to the stern cleat of the boat and begin tightening the line until the boat's stern moves out of line with the anchor line. The distance that the boat drifts to the left depends on the current or wind pressure and the angle created by the second line. When the angle and the distance of the drift is satisfactory, simply tie the line off to the stern cleat.

If you wish to fish to the left of the central fishing area, retie the line to the starboard cleat near the stern. Safety is the key, as always. If the wind or current is too strong, there is a danger of swamping or capsizing the boat.
    Always keep a sharp knife handy to cut the line in case of a problem.

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I've read that before. And I wonder how effective it really is. I'm not trying to be smart here. But that kind of makes makes me think the ancient Boccers were fishing out of their hand carved logs. And their poles were nothing more than sticks with twine attaching a rock carved circle hook. :smile2::smile2: They couldn't cast far distances. They probably just dropped their rig next to the vessel.
    That's the beauty of our new and improved rod and reels.... We can fish multiple spots from our anchored position. I'm going to have to give that a shot though, and see how far I can move from my anchored position.
    Again, i'm not trying to be smart. It's just the way my rookie brain is looking at it. :roll_eyes:

3. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    That could be Dan. Not sure how well it would work but it sounded interesting. I have found that trying to cast too far off to the side of the boat in a strong current leads to excessive snags and trouble pinning the bait where you want it. This sounds like a possible solution. At least in my current snowbound, cabin fever state of mind.:confused2:

4. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Very good point.

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Another way to move right or left in a pretty good current is to just turn the motor right or left and leave it turned..

6. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I am definitely going to try this. I think it would help with the boat swinging so much. Especially when fishing in the back eddys where the current isn't so strong. It would be a lot easier than trying to hang two anchors and I don't want to use a bucket in the water. Thank you for the tip.

7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks for that tip..I fish the Missouri and the current is sometimes too much. I use to put out two heavy anchors until the one the front let go and the one in the back held tight..I was able to untie the anchor in the back and let it go with a large float so I didn't loose it but for a few seconds when water started over the edge everything tightened up if you know what I mean!

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    One thing I found that works when fishing the upstream side of wing dams (and gotta give credit, Vince turned me on to it in one of his posts) is:

Move a lot closer to the bank than you want to fish and further upstream. Drop anchor and let out a lot of rope. The water is already runnin along the face of the dam, so it will take your boat on a course semi-paralell with the face of the dam and hold it there. Then you can cast out the back of the boat and your baits will stay closer to face of the dam instead of skipping along the dam and snagging like they do when you anchor 90 degrees to the dam and try to cast towards the bank. I also have cleats on the front corners of my boat, so by some trial and error I can usually find the right combo of motor angle and which corner cleat to tie off to to get the angle I want with minimal swing in a pretty short time. It won't keep you paralell to the dam, but at kind of a 45 and it makes fishing the face and very tip of the dams a lot easier. I found a wingdam with a brushpile on the tip and this was the only way I could get my bait to sit on it right and not snag. Again, thanks to Vince for that post, his idea, I'm just passing it along. Good Luck,

Branden

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Branden

Do you ever run the length of the dam before you tie off to locate fish with a fish finder or do you just hit each dike looking for fish feeding?

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not usually along the face of the dam, with the current running like it does and the shallow water in front, I try to stay back from it. I will almost always look for ones with deep scour holes and/or structure near the tip. I figure this gives them a place to "hole up" when they're not feeding. If it has the kind of hole and/or structure I want, I'll usually fish the hole and the face of the dam. I tend to do the same thing at night when fishing the flats. I like flats near a deep hole on the theory that at some point they're going to move out of their hole to the flats and feed.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    This is what I will do as well. Works pretty good. Good Stuff Harold.

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I've never moved more than a couple of feet at the best by turning the motor!:roll_eyes:

Maybe I am a NOOB and turning the motor wrong. Can someone PM me instructions as to the proper way to turn the motor to drift the stern enough to make a difference?:smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You cant keep playin that NOOB Card for ever now Mr Darryl. :wink::smile2: It wont move you too far Darryl. Sometimes a couple of feet is all you need. If I'm anchored on a ledge, and i need to get 3 feet over to be right on the ledge, thats when I use the motor to help push me over that way. Using your motor isnt going to move you a terribly long way to say the least. If I have to move that far, I probably didnt anchor right to begin with :sad2:

14. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Any of you guys good at drawing a diagram? I'm not sure exactly where you are talking about tying off. I normally fish by my self and find it a little scary when I'm getting ready to leave when I'm in that current the Missouri River has being that close to the upper side of the dike.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Dave, this is a rather crude drawing of my favorite set ups on the dyke, but I think it will give you the basic idea. Its the best I could come up with in five minutes. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

16. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks Cuz that does help..it appears you are sitting further back near the bank and letting the boat pull towards the end of the dike and throwing toward the end of the dike..I guess my question would be how far are you actually from the dike once you anchor off?

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Your exactly right. I like to keep my boat back 20 yards off the dyke on the top sides and cast out so as not to spook fish with noise and boat vibrations.

18. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I totally fished the up sides of these dikes wrong. I was setting up about 40 yards off the top of the dike and trying to fish the dip. Most of the time the current would be so bad I would find my self sliding down to the dike and then 90% of the time my lines would be hung up. That may explain why I never did catch anything on the upper side of the dike.

19. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Dave, if you notice one of his spots is below the wing dyke at the end of it right against it.. You can park your boat there, drop your anchor on the dyke and your boat will sit right there no problem.. Then throw into the swirls at the end of the dyke about 5 ft or so off the point and your weight will drop straight down and your bait will set right there on bottom..

20. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    When you make it to Pro status Darryl the secrets of turning the motor are revealed.....but, untill then you'll have to be happy only moving a couple of feet in each direction. :big_smile: