Fish that swallow hooks?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Hoopie, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught a flathead last night that was around 5 lbs. It swallowed the hook and after an attempt at removal I decided to cut the line and leave it there. Good or bad decision? Keep in mind that you can't eat fish out of this river.

It's been bugging me on weather that fish will survive long enough for the hook to rust out? Or if it will survive at all, it swam away like the bat outta hell!

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If I catch one that swallows the hook and I'm not keeping it I just cut the line as close to the eye of the hook as I can and let the fish go. That is if it is a game fish or gar. If it is a carp or buffalo I get my hook and use the fish for bait

3. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    In that case, if the hook would not come out easy leave it let them swim.

4. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    imo i think it will survive! i caught about a 10 lber. that had a hook in the back of his throat and was still well enough to take my bait!! shane

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You know a Gama 10 O is going to take forever to rust out- I'm think infection around the hook will eventually kill the fish- but what can ya do. In a bigger flattie you can reach down it's throat up to your elbow or more and pull the hook out backwards- pulling the eye through, but ya can't hardly fit a hand in a 5 pounders mouth,, let alone down the throat.
    Sometimes - depending how deep it is - you can pull it's esophogus inside-out enough by firmly pulling the line, then get ahold of the hook--cut the line-- then pull the hook out backwards. just watch injuring the gills.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i had it happen tonight, on a j gamma, i wish circals would work for me but they jut dont ive tried them, i guess ill put one on, but the flats here dont load up , you got to set it wen they tug

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I cut the line as close to the eye as possible...As far as the hook rusting out aint going to happen anytime soon.

8. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've caught a small flathead with a hook hangin out of its butt.It was the shank,the eye was still in there,I pulled it right out.Easy as can be.
    The hook was a little rusty,but not much.I think that one was just lucky

9. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When you get a bite.Go to your reel and give it a couple cranks.And just keep the tension on em.
    That usually workd for me

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im going to give them another try,

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A normal iron hook will rust out in a few weeks but some of the high end stainlees hooks forget it. I keep any gut hooked fish now. I found to many floaten somtimes from a hook deep in em in the gut or gills. Lil flats are bad about inhalen a bait on the MO river and just sitting there. Sucks to keep em 5 to 10 lbs but they ant bad eaten.

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree,I think it,ll eventually kill him too.At least if you cut the line off close,the fish has SOME kind of chance,if you kill him then he has 0 chance.You find a lot of animals living just fine with stuff that was SUPPOSED to kill em.:wink:

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I gut-hooked a small Flathead a few weeks ago from a river with consumption advisories. Not only was she gut hooked but I had to pull her out of cover that she was tangled in. The fish died minutes after I landed her unfortunately. She would'nt even attempt to swim away, just laid there and died. I decided to take "her" home (and she was unfortunately full of eggs) and I ate her after doing some half assed research on the net about the rivers contaminates. What I found was that Mercury levels in this particular river were the same and lower than other rivers that are commercially fished but the main thing that created the consumption advisory was presence of a substance called Chlordane which is a
    bi-product of pesticides. Anyway, I guess it's a plus that Chlordane has not been used throughout the US in over 20 years and the fish was small (3 lbs or so). I do not plan on making this a regular occurence however, I just hated to see a Flathead go to waste.

14. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    ive always been told that a catfish can disgard a hook in 24-48 hrs !! they have some kind of enzyme or bacteria that either rusts the hook or acts kinda like when you get a thorn stuck deep your body will most of the time work it back out on its own but this is just what ive been told!:confused2:
    as far as actually rusting- i dont think it will - rust has top have air and if the hooks are left underwater with no air well it wont rust !!

15. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    i've always wondered that myself having caught a lot of fish that swallowed the hook after trying like hell to get the hook out w/o any luck i'll decide to cut the line as close to the hook as possible and end up throwing the fish back w/ the hook still in its throut. Thanks for starting this thread im curious to the answers you'll get.

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    just A punture wound in the digestive tract IMO will heal as long as there's no foreign object that wont digest or decay lodged there to keep it from healing and infected... flatties are the hardiest fish there is! I caught a flattie with a worm harness hanging half way out of it rear-end once. you have got to imagine the punture wounds a flatheads intestines get swallowing bluegills etc.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    With all the pain and suffering in the world, you are being bugged by something like this? Forget about it and go on with your life. :wink:

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well, if you can learn to save your tackle, AND the fish, it's a good thing.
    Good hooks ain't cheap and Big fish are worth some effort trying to ensure they survive after being gut hooked I think. And more often then not a gut hook CAN be removed accomplishing both things. Just my opinon though.

19. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am not losing sleep over it! I guess I should have said curious instead of bugging.lol

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That same thing happened to me once. That barb was stuck though and it seemed to be clogging up the area.

Ironically on another note I have a story that happend last weekend. I was fishing with friend when I hooked a flathead that took me into some snaggs. I could not get him out of the snaggs so after a little bit of time I decided to pull as hard as I could until the line snapped at the point of the leader.

4 hrs later my buddy gets a run on his braided line and we land the fish. His rod was about 30 yrds down from mine. The flat turned out to be a 53 pound flat. The flat still had my hook in deep in its throat and we could tell it was mine because of the mono. I was using a 10/0 king kahle.

My partner also had a 10/0 kahle and the flat swallowed both hooks. This flat ate 4 hrs later after snapping me off plus having my hook in its belly. So the short terms affects of the swallowed hook did not bother him as he was again on the feed. As far as a hook that big and thick rotten out I do not know and Some thorough research needs to be done on this to come to a good conclusion such as observing a fish over a period of time with a hook in its belly per say to see how it reacts such as in a tank or something. The smaller or thinner hooks should be easier to rott but I can imagine with todays new style and thick hooks that may be a problem at some point for the survival of the fish.