Fish swallowing the hook problem

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Sam Wall, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Sam Wall

Sam Wall New Member

State:
    California
    I caught an okay sized cat yesterday, unfortunatly it swallowed the hook. When I opened its mouth to see if I could remove it, the hook was caught in the throat making it impossible for the fish to eat in my opinion. I tried to remove the hook but it would have tore him up to do so. I wanted to kill the fish since it would probably starve to death in the water or die while I was trying to remove the hook. My buddy, who was holding it for me while I tried to take out the hook, said the fish would be okay and threw him back in.

Would you guys have put it out of misery or thrown it back?

BTW, I never keep fish to eat because everyone says not to eat fish out of the San Joaquin Delta, so I always throw them back.

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well mostly I keep nice size catfish, sometimes it's happening to me before, I caught small catfish and hook was deeping into throat or tongue, I would cut the line, just let them go. They will be fine. last time I caught other nice size channel, I have seen old hook in throat and tongue, the hook become rust.

3. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i will usually keep a fish that has swallowed a hook but they will rust out over time or the fish will work them out by himself last fall i caught a small flatty it had a lead line swivel and all hanging out of its mouth when i cleaned it it had a hook that was almost completly dissolved in its stomach so i dont think it will hurt them

4. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    switch to circle hooks and you will rarely have this problem.Over 95% of my hook-ups are right in the corner of the mouth and easily removed for release.They take alittle time to get used to but they are very effective.If you have problems using them im sure the guys/gals on this site would be glad to help.Good luck!

5. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    The catfish will be fine, the hook will dissolve in a relatiely short amount of time.

6. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    just switch to circle hooks and that problem will no longer bother you all you do with a circle hook is when the fish has just raise the rod and start reeling dont set it like a normal j- hook just act cool and reel it in like you were just gonna check your bait. keep the rod tip up. I have also found that using a rod with a little give in the tip also helps to get the hook started if you let the fish fight the rod for a minute before reeling :cool2: good luck

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The acid from the fish will disolve the hook. In the future if you gut hook a fish just cut the line and don't try to dig the hook out. You will do more damage thanthe hook can. CPR and let him go.:smile2:

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I spend alot of time on the water and over the last two years have picked up all dead catfish floating i saw. I remove the head and get a leght and they get sent to the fisheries for a age program. over half of them will have hooks in their mouth or in the belly. So I tell everyone and do it myself if a fish get deep hooked it comes home. There is always someone looking for a fresh fish to eat and its better than seeing them floating down the river.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Try the Gamakatsu wide gap circle hooks, you wont have that problem again.

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I release all fish over 10# with the exception of a fish that is deep hooked. Far too many catfish are released to die in the water.

It's OK to kill and eat fish... That's why God put them here. Besides... I like them!

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    If a fish is gut hooked, I say keep it. No sense in releasing it to suffer and die for no reason. I also agree that circle hooks and the wide gap circle also help eliminate some of this problem.

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I think the fish will die than I will be eating fish.

13. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    There is nothing wrong with eating fish. I really believe that if is questionable, it will die. No reason to waste good fish, imo.

Jim

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would recommend switching to circle hooks. I started using them last year and so far 100% of the fish I have caught have the hook in the corner of the mouth for easy hook removal.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think if the fish it gut hook, u better keep him for the frying pan. There is nothing with eating fish.

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As I said said never caught the beast yet,but if it's swallowed the hook,it's coming home!:smile2:

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I keep all fish that swallow the hook ,except if they are length short. some types have certain length limits in which case i cut the leader as close as possible to the fishes mouth and release. if there is no lenght limit I simply unsnap [if im using a snapswivel and toss it in the basket] or cut the leader and string it.!!

18. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I had any question about it than Id eat it.:002:

19. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    I think first I would find someone in the know about this and see if it is true, not based on what everyone says.

if it is I don't know what I would do. Probably just as you did. Better to give the fish a chance than to kill it for sure and not eat it.

If the quoted statement turns out to be false I would keep it and eat it.

20. MealsOnReels

MealsOnReels New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Caught one last year and noticed some old line in its mouth.
    It had a very rusty hook deep in its gut that came loose.
    Thought this one deserved to go back and get caught again and again.