Fish Strike Alarm ideas

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JPritch, Mar 4, 2009.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thinking of pulling a couple of all nighters really soon. I'll be alone, so I'm gonna need to get my zzz's, no switching off with someone else. I'm a heavy sleeper though and am worried I'll sleep through a good fish (was once on a boat and all four of us slept through a fish...we woke up the next morning to reel in an exhausted 30lb fish).

Are clickers really loud enough to wake you? Do the bells work? Any other creative ideas you all have come up with? I'm all ears.

Thanks guys!

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Some clickers are pretty loud and might wake you up but I wouldnt trust them the way I sleep.:smile2:
    IMO the bells are worthless. Everytime I have used them I was searchin for the stupid thing after I caught a fish.:eek:oooh:
    You could fill an empty can with some pebbles and rig it so it will sound if there is a fish on, or just try not to sleep.:tounge_out::smile2:
    I would set the drag fairly tight with the reel engaged and the clicker on and hope for the best.:cross:

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    A Penn or one of the bigger Abu's has a loud enough clicker to wake most anyone.

Plan "B" could be one of these: http://www.strikesensor.com/ I haven't used them in a couple of years, but I've got a set and they work really well.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    That's a good price on those Strike Sensors. That might be a good option. I remember seeing something similar in BPS catalog I think and it was approaching 1K for the set for another brand.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Take a string and tie it to your rod tip. Tie the other end to your toe, or other body part :wink:, and when that big boys hammers your rod you will wake up! :smile2:

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I sometimes use the bells, but I got mine soldered to an alligator clip that holds on alot better.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    See if you can find a baby monitor at Good-Will or spring for a new one. Put the microphone up near the reels, put the speaker near your head. Turn it up and the clicker will blast you awake...W

8. Kevin Allen

Kevin Allen New Member

State:
    Alabama
    wal-mart has some reel combos that are around $50 that have a strike sensor. u can adjust the level of sensitivity. pretty loud beeping, also a fairly bright flashing red light so u'll know which rod got the bite. might wanna check into that. its built in, u can turn it on and off..

Kevin Allen

9. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    Poor Man Engineering at its best right here:

20oz. water bottle clear, drink the water first lmfao, then put anything in it that will make loud noise when rustling around, only fill it about a 2 to 3 inches up with the material you will use to put in it to make noise, glass bottles work really well with marbles but ar a pain to carry around, now here is the hardest part of it all LOL, take a penny nail, drive it through the screw on cap fron the inside out, once you have this done set it about 2 foot away from your rod and reel after youve casted, then put ya pole down pull out enough line to loop around the penny nail, when the fish takes off youll have the noise of the bait clicker and the bottle falling over with what ever you put in it to make noise, i use this all the time pulling all nighters, we also put glowsticks in the bottles as well with the wrappers torn off so if we are away from our rods we can watch them from a distance.

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    My favorite line-out alarm is to throw a couple-three pebbles inside an empty aluminum adult beverage can then twist the pop-top into a hook.

To use, cast your rod as usual and place it into a substantial rod holder. Tighten the line and hang the aluminum line-out alarm on the line between the largest guide and the reel.

The can will help keep the line tight until it flies noisily away signaling the bite. Never fails and I dare anyone to sleep through the rattle when the can hits the ground and rolls.

The best part about it is that the line-out alarms are (FREE) already littering the ground at most fishing spots. making it extremely inexpensive (CHEAP!) And they come in six-paks at the "C" store.

11. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Years ago I made one out of a childs toy pager. Cheap and made all kinds of crazy sounds. Lil' ingenuity goes a long way...

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    take your shoe off and let some slack in the line about 3 feet .tie it around your big toe a couple of times.when you get a bite it will tugg on your toe

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dang man! If you are that sleepy I would just stay home and sleep and go fishing once you are more well rested!!! :smile2:

14. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
  15. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with Wyliecat.Sleep before u go.

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
  17. catfishreaper

catfishreaper New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Hey I hope this helps but I do alot of night fishing for cats up near huntington oregon ..on the snake river ...and I just bought a Zebco Hawgseeker off line..and I don't how heavy a sleeper you are but its prety load..and seems to be working prety good so far...Although the biggest channel I've caught this year on it is 9lbs ...LOL! not as big as most of you guyss get but I'll take it ..

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Jason, I have heard they are loud. Thanks for the tip and welcome to the BOC:wink:

19. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    That's fine, it appears to alarm. The only question i have (with things like this that attach to the rod) is wouldn't they impair fighting and/or reeling in a fish? They have to have an effect on the rods action and put undue strain in a location it should not be. I'm just thinking out load.
    I have stayed away from clip on things like the bells because I don't want to damage the finish and thus strength of rods that are far from cheap.

20. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    As stated " Best on the market".

Follow the link and see for yourself. They are loud but may not seem it in the video due to the video compression file.